Do you find it funny?

Both

The fact that Canon advertises with them

Peer pressure!!

If five cool people are all drinking an energy drink with the word "Monster" on it, you're going to buy one so you feel like one of the cool people. you may not think "Oh I want to be like them!" In you're mind, but if you stopped and thought about WHY you're going to buy a $3 drink that doesn't make you high you'll find that it's because everyone around you is doing it...
Not to mention, the non-photographers see that a bunch of pros have Canon gear, and they automatically see Canon as a company that the pros chose.

I see these Canon adds in magazines with a bunch of pro photogs all with very similar white lenses all tight together in one location and like a little blurb saying how great they are. When i see this it just makes me think that canon symbolizes uniformity and anti-creativity and makes individualism seem wrong.

IDK, just how i see it.
Social identity and status are a big part of corporate marketing. You would be surprised how closely studied and categorized people are as far as their social roles and abilities to influence their peers, to the point of making you sick almost. It's designed to play on your emotions and people's desire to fit in with and be a part of a group. These people are all cool and have white lenses, and you want to have white lenses too so you can be cool like them. Of course individualists think that's a bunch of crap and go off and do whatever they want, so obviously the marketing fails on people such as yourself.

Social identity and status are a big part of corporate marketing. You would be surprised how closely studied and categorized people are as far as their social roles and abilities to influence their peers, to the point of making you sick almost. It's designed to play on your emotions and people's desire to fit in with and be a part of a group. These people are all cool and have white lenses, and you want to have white lenses too so you can be cool like them. Of course individualists think that's a bunch of crap and go off and do whatever they want, so obviously the marketing fails on people such as yourself.

But there's so few true individualists out there most companies don't bother marketing towards them. But its cool cause you'll not feel the pressure of advertising nearly as strong as those around you.

Like my friend....

Hes what Ken Rockwell would call a measurebator. And its bad, he doesnt get what he or anyone else thinks is cool, he gets what canon tells him is cool. So hes trying to get his "in" on it anyway possible, leaving no time for actually taking pictures and getting good at it.

Unless Im competely missing the marketing point , Canon L gear has nothing to do with being "cool" and everything to do with being "professional" And those guys in a row shooting like robots are NOT creative they are in fact robots with lenses.

But if you need high grade equipment L is the top for DSLR market.

Sounds like your trying to overreach on this one.

including a real picture of real pros using the equipment is actually pretty realistic and honest. Id give them kudos for NOT being trendy like many others are. If they are trendy, thats a pretty damm long trend...

Im not a canon head or anything, I just think its a good investment , works well and third pary support is everywhere, heck they clean my sensor for free when I take it into HQ. Can you say the same for X company ?

Sports photographers mostly switched to Canon about 15 years ago because the cameras and lenses were better suited to sports photography...nothing unusual...it was practical and not related to fashion, creativity or the lack of it.

White lens barrels absorb less heat...therefore are more stable in the sun.

20 years ago it was all Nikon.

So no big deal...in 5 more years maybe it will be Sanyo, or iCameras or whatever. Photojournalists use what does the job best.

And BTW, i would have still made this post if i shot Canon.

Unless Im competely missing the marketing point , Canon L gear has nothing to do with being "cool" and everything to do with being "professional" And those guys in a row shooting like robots are NOT creative they are in fact robots with lenses.

Agreed. At the major sporting events, its all about getting the shot, not so much being creative. When you're at a more relaxed event, having time to plan, then you can be creative.

The ad portrays Canon as the professionals' choice. It's supposed to make a viewer think "Canon is really high quality" which is what I would look for when shopping for a lens/camera. After all, creativity is found behind the viewfinder.

Nikon's also been utilizing a marketing ploy lately with having a celeb (in this case, Ashton Kutcher) advertise for them.

The ad portrays Canon as the professionals' choice. It's supposed to make a viewer think "Canon is really high quality" which is what I would look for when shopping for a lens/camera. After all, creativity is found behind the viewfinder.

Nikon's also been utilizing a marketing ploy lately with having a celeb (in this case, Ashton Kutcher) advertise for them.

I sell cameras at target and you do not know how many people have asked for "the camera ashton kutcher has".. Its sad honestly

I've thought about buffing all the logos off my gear and having different ones screened on at random; Kodak SLR with a Mattel zoom lens, or a Mamiya logo on the Samsung P&S. That should really screw with the brand loyalists.

Most reactions

Back