Do you focus and recompose for portraits?

I started formulating my response but it pretty much exactly matched what @Overread already said. I never use manual focus for portraits, however. I always move my focus point as close to where I want it as I can’t get it.

The only time I focus and recompose is in low light when the peripheral focus points struggle to grab focus but the center point still does well.

I focus and recompose, mainly for convenience, so I don't have to fool with AF point selection while I'm in the viewfinder. At the distance I take portraits (usually using a 100mm f/2), I find that a few of degrees of movement to recompose doesn't shift the plane of focus noticeably, especially if I'm shooting stopped down at all. If I have any trouble, it's usually the subject and/or photographer not standing/sitting still. People tend to sway a surprising amount, especially when standing, and especially when squinting into a viewfinder.

Exception being if I'm shooting from a tripod. Then, I do whatever's most convenient for the situation, and it varies more with a tripod.

I try to keep camera movement in the recompose to a minimum by moving the single focus point I use. I shoot in manual and also have the same single point for exposure. I can't afford to hope I have it right so I spot focus just below the eye I want in focus, if caucasian, increase exposure about 2/3 stop from dead center as I recompose and shoot. At 1.4 and 2.0 I can't let the camera guess where I want focus. I know 2/3 stop will have me really close if not dead on with exposure.

BBF focus point and recompose if desired.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back