Do you hang prints of your photographs in your house?

Just ordered two 12x18 prints going to try and frame them myself.

I will go check out frames at a local framing shop. If it is too expensive there I will try an arts and craft store.

Darkhunter. I buy all my frames from AmericanFrame.com You can get some elegant but simple metal frames cheap. I usually buy about $150 worth at a time which gives me about a dozen frames. Then you go to Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc and buy mat board, glass and foamcore backing. I can frame a 16x20 myself for about $20.

Cool I will check out the site! Thanks.

Edit: Wow they sell kits that come with the frame and the mats for like $30 bucks. I might just get it all from them! Thanks for the site.

Last edited:
I have plenty shots of my son, on the fridge and in various kid themed frames. I have several 16x20 prints of my landscapes (in cheap frames) hanging in my basement 'studio' area. And on my living room wall, I've got a beautiful 50x30 canvas gallery wrap of another landscape.
Canvas-01.jpg

Where did you get that Gallery Canvas Wrap from? It's gorgeous (and a gorgeous shot of course).

I do. I have nothing smaller than 20x24. But this is where I meet my clients. :)

Where did you get that Gallery Canvas Wrap from? It's gorgeous (and a gorgeous shot of course).
I'm lucky that my local pro lab, Technicare, is one of (if not the) best producers of canvas prints in Canada. That's what other local photographers, who have tried several suppliers, tell me. One of my favorite things about them is that they use metallic photo paper, before stripping the emulsion, which gives the canvas a quality that you just don't see in a regular paper print.

As you are in the US, you probably don't want to order from Canada and have to worry about cross border shipping. Heck, you might not want to deal with shipping at all, and just find a local supplier.
Pixel2Canvas
Simply Canvas Gallery Wrapped Canvas Prints

You could even do the gallery wrap yourself. Order the canvas print from wherever and have it shipped to you rolled up. You can buy the frames & stretching tools at art supply stores. This could save a lot, as the cost of mounting/stretching is as much or more than the actual print on canvas.

Just got my prints in from adorama pics, they look awesome. I got one already matted and one I am going to try to mat myself. Now time to choose some frames!

Alright so on I am on Americanframe.com right now and found a nice frame I like. Here is what is included:

1Your Image Size (12 X 18)free1Standard- Matte Black SAVE 25% S21 (15 3/4 X 21 3/4)$10.391Mat Board- Smooth White (white core) CBW222 (15 3/4 X 21 3/4) Rectangle Top:2" Sides:2" Bottom:2" $5.701Standard Acrylic AAS (15 3/4 X 21 3/4)$8.651Standard Mounting Board MTBS (15 3/4 X 21 3/4)$2.85

Is that everything I need? And what exactly is the difference between "bottom mat" and the mounting board. If I have all that do I still need matting for the back of the actual picture?

I bought a 4ft x 10ft sheet of Galvanized steel. I had it cut to 4x3 and 4x7 so it takes up a corner space, bolted it to one wall in my studio office and use magnets to put up various prints of both mine and other's work. I went to a steel supply place instead of the local DIY Hardware store. It would have cost me a fortune that way, and I would only have had panels.

I bought a 4ft x 10ft sheet of Galvanized steel. I had it cut to 4x3 and 4x7 so it takes up a corner space, bolted it to one wall in my studio office and use magnets to put up various prints of both mine and other's work. I went to a steel supply place instead of the local DIY Hardware store. It would have cost me a fortune that way, and I would only have had panels.

Sounds pretty cool. Do you have a picture of it?

Photographer and Author Rick Sammon is promoting Nations Photo Lab:
DPE and Nations Photo Lab Present: Our Beautiful Nation Photo Contest | The Digital Photo Experience
I just ordered a free gallery wrap to try them out. You can see the code and link from tbe blog entry above. No gimmick, I just placed an order using the code which is $50 off your first order. In that past I have also recommended MPIX.

Cool just ordered an 8x10 gallery wrap. They didnt even charge me shipping :eek:

I've got a 54x36 (I believe) canvas gallery wrap hanging in my entry way. It's a silhouette of the Teton mountain range in Wyoming at sunset. Well worth the $250!

Alright so on I am on Americanframe.com right now and found a nice frame I like. Here is what is included:

1Your Image Size (12 X 18)free1Standard- Matte Black SAVE 25% S21 (15 3/4 X 21 3/4)$10.391 Mat Board- Smooth White (white core) CBW222 (15 3/4 X 21 3/4) Rectangle Top:2" Sides:2" Bottom:2" $5.701Standard Acrylic AAS (15 3/4 X 21 3/4)$8.651Standard Mounting Board MTBS (15 3/4 X 21 3/4)$2.85

Is that everything I need? And what exactly is the difference between "bottom mat" and the mounting board. If I have all that do I still need matting for the back of the actual picture?
I'm not sure what you mean by "bottom mat".

Do you have mounting tape to secure the print to the mounting board and for hinging the mat?

The Mounting Board is the same size as the inside of the rabbet in the frame and goes behind the print.

The Mat Board has a 12 x 18 inch window cut in it and the window is centered with 2 inches of mat (plus the rabbet) remaining on each side of the opening. The Bottom: 2", indicates there is no bottom weight since it is the same dimension as the top and sides.

The Mat Board goes on top of the print with the print showing through the window and the acrylic goes on top of the mat board.

Once you have assembled the mounting board, print, mat, acrylic: as a unit it all goes into the frame that has had 3 sides loosely assembled.

Most reactions

Back