Do you like My Off Camera Flash Beginning Kit Wish List?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Dear Experts, I need your help.

I mainly do outdoor portraits and Action and im Juts getting into OCF. I dont want something that will break easy as I will be Shooting all on location. I live in Arizona, USA so weather can be nice 360 days a year. wind is not a huge factor but I also don't want to have to buy umbrellas every shoot.

I have been researching for weeks and have come up with a wish list. Now before i pull the trigger and spend what seems like a good chunk of cash for ocf, (pre built its go for $50-&150)

I want to reach out to you.

Here is my set up.
Nikon D5200
18-50mm
50-200mm

Please suggest edits? reviews? comments on the following products.
Click link to Amazon Wish List

Amazon.com

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank You KmH!

Do they make a Convertible Umbrellas that also have the Gold, Silver and Black? Searching Convertible umbrellas only brought up black and white.
I use C stands inside my shared video studio and they are too big and heavy to be mobile. I'd like to throw it all into a small pack. I'll be out in the woods for sports.
as far as weighted down I plan to use the spikes on the Stand as well as tie downs. and leg weights

Do they make a Convertible Umbrellas that also have the Gold, Silver and Black?
Not as far as I know, no. White is much more useful than silver in general work, and gold is almost useless.
I use C stands inside my shared video studio and they are too big and heavy to be mobile. I'd like to throw it all into a small pack. I'll be out in the woods for sports.
as far as weighted down I plan to use the spikes on the Stand as well as tie downs. and leg weights
*Looks in to crystal ball*

"You're going to regret that!"

If you mean like a 5-in-1 reflector? No. No gold, silver, etc convertible umbrellas. But you can get reflective umbrellas that are silver, or gold.
I had some but used them only rarely for special purposes/effects.

A convertible umbrella has a black outer cover that can be removed so you can shoot-through the umbrella.
The advantage of shoot-through is being able to put the umbrella a bit closer to your subject because the umbrella shaft isn't in the way.

As far as the spindly, light weight pop-riveted together LumoPro light stand legs/leg supports - when the light stand fails out there in the woods and your light and umbrella smash into the ground, remember the expert help you asked for here. LOL.

how about this:

Amazon.com : Yongnuo YN560-TX LCD Wireless Manual Flash Controller + 2pcs YN-560 III Manual Flash Speedlite Light For for Nikon D7200 D7100 D7000 D5100 D90 D5200 D5000 D3000 D3200 D3100 D610 D800 D700 D300 D300S : Camera & Photo

+

Amazon.com : CowboyStudio Doulbe Off-Camera Flash Shoe Mount Swivel Umbrella Kit for Nikon Canon with 2 Silver Umbrellas, 2 Shoot Through Umbrllas, 2 Shoemount Brackets and Carrying Case : Photographic Lighting Umbrellas : Camera & Photo

That flash setup is legit. umbrella and stands are low end, but gets your foot in the door. (that's the umbrella kit I started with)

all for $250.

last time I used umbrellas outdoors i had 4 sandbangs holding it down and it was still not going to stay without my lovely wife holding it for me the entire time.

Last edited:
I use some pretty spindly light stands outside pretty regularly. They will definitely fall over in a pretty light wind if you're using an umbrella. However, when I weigh them down properly (I use sandbags), then I don't have any problems. It isn't difficult to get them sturdy enough that I have a hard time knocking them over when I'm trying to. It is also worth considering, that when you're shooting sports, it is unlikely that you'll be able to get enough light out of a speed light to be able to use an umbrella and get your subject properly exposed. The stands are far less likely to fall over without an umbrella on them.

hmmm I've got a lot to think about now.. (Thanks lol) Well I asked because I wanted true opinions!

Compact light stand Need A lot of Weight to hold them down, so the trade off buying a lightweight stand but needing to carry extra weight to hold them is foolish..

any suggestions on Stands?

If you use to much weight the legs can collapse.
At some point as far as wind speed and sail area, the risers/leg supports may fail before the legs do.

It's just basic physics.

I have two of their cheaper air cushioned ones. decent enough for light duty work.

once you start playing with monolights and large modifiers, you see why big start investing into heavy duty ones.

6' is a very short lightstand. Like tripods, they're best when NOT used at full extension. Most of mine are 12' stands and I try and not use them much above 9 - 10' (unless it's just a bare-tube hairlight). Light-duty stands like this are okay as long as you're careful and make sure the light/modifier is placed properly with respect to the legs, etc.

I have Westscott 10' heavy duty stands. They're decent, will hold a 36" soft box :D I'd still use some weight to hold the leg down regardless of which stand you pick. As for colored umbrellas, you can gel the light to get different colors. It's cheaper that way. For cheap triggers and flashes, you can try YN560III (flashes) + YN622N's and the 622N-TX controller if you want additional options (TTL and control power output). I do all manual OCF so I have several YN622N's along side with Pocketwizard Plus3.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert. I just take pretty pictures :D

Most reactions

Back