Do you need a certain quality of equipment to be a professional?

Well, here's how I would see things Baaaark (going back to the original topic)

If I were a professional photographer, actually making my living solely from it, and I had a nice studio that customers could come to, with all the lights, and my dream 5D with several nice L series lenses... I more than likely would charge more simply due to my overhead, unless I was fortunate enough to own every inch of the studio, from the building to all the equipment

Morally speaking, I have no issues with charging someone because even at the level I'm at now, which is maybe, and I do mean maybe, slightly over beginner, perhaps blending into intermdiate..

This makes a lot of sense. With your argument, some may say its counterproductive to have too nice of a studio. This just goes to show you the great photography studios are ones with a great business model AS WELL as a great photographer. You can't be one or the other, you have to be both.

Maybe I'm thinking too much. But I just wonder if many people buy and upgrade of camera, lighting, and/or lens, and feel entitled to charge more cause their photo quality has increased. Or if they just keep doing what they're doing.

And I appreciate you talking with me. I know its more abstract and philosophical than most questions on here (and that some people HATE philosophy), but it fascinates me to know how the industry works, not just, "I have camera trouble," or, "How does my photo look."

I'm just wondering what type of equipment it takes to make you a professional wedding photographer:lmao:

Please pick the response you would find the most offensive, assume that is what I told you, and then lash back at me for it:

A> You cannot be a pro without at least a two Nikon D3s and $12,000 worth of high quality glass.
B> Anyone holding anything that can capture light can be a professional. Anyone who spends money on a D3 and $12,000 worth of high quality glass is an absolute ****ing moron.

You presume to know my modus operandi, not only on this forum, but in my entire life... based off of a single post here on TPF? That's hysterical. That's quite an analysis. A Mighty One indeed.

Do you ever watch Scrubs? I bet you really like Dr. Cox on there. If you don't watch it you should, he's hillarious.

I appreciate your comments, and you are entitled to flame or ridicule me for being a noob, but I will keep doing what I'm doing either way. I like philosophical-style conversations about stuff that doesn't have an exact answer. You find out much more about EVERYTHING in life by asking questions with out a distinct answer, than being concrete.

I'm just wondering what type of equipment it takes to make you a professional wedding photographer:lmao:

Please pick the response you would find the most offensive, assume that is what I told you, and then lash back at me for it:

A> You cannot be a pro without at least a two Nikon D3s and $12,000 worth of high quality glass.
B> Anyone holding anything that can capture light can be a professional. Anyone who spends money on a D3 and $12,000 worth of high quality glass is an absolute ****ing moron.

Does this mean you think that equipment is irrelevant, and the quality of work (despite style of camera), will determine the artist's success? I want your opinion.

I choose C...you need canon to be a pro wedding photographer

Why is having a open discussion, and wanting people's opinions trollish? I'm not asking people to get upset or to discredit other people's ideas. I think you're reading into me too much if you feel that is my intention.

Like I said, I'm just trying to get some discussion and opinions from people. It can stay civil... Not everything that people disagree on ends in emotional flame wars.

:lol:

Do you ever watch Scrubs? I bet you really like Dr. Cox on there. If you don't watch it you should, he's hillarious.

I appreciate your comments, and you are entitled to flame or ridicule me for being a noob, but I will keep doing what I'm doing either way. I like philosophical-style conversations about stuff that doesn't have an exact answer. You find out much more about EVERYTHING in life by asking questions with out a distinct answer, than being concrete.

*rolls eyes*

Does this mean you think that equipment is irrelevant, and the quality of work (despite style of camera), will determine the artist's success? I want your opinion.

I don't really think you do.

Whatever the case, my opinion matters not. You really want my opinion on this? Click Search.

HOW DARE YOU!!!!!?!?!?!?

*rolls eyes*

I don't really think you do.

Whatever the case, my opinion matters not. You really want my opinion on this? Click Search.

Your opinion DOES matter, whether you think it does or not.

Lets say you have a Canon XT 350D, or a Nikon D70, and do strobist-style shots, and your whole setup was under a grand.

Does that make you less entitled to charge normal price for your work? I am mostly thinking on one hand that its about the product, not the process. But, at the same time, doesn't a photographer owe it to the person paying to use a setup which can compete with his peers and competition?

BTW, this is not about me. I have no DSLR or strobes. I just am asking a question, that's all. Besides, I wouldn't charge for my work yet, its not there.

Bark- heres my physcologism of the day. Yes physcologism! I think it comes down to what you want out of photography. You can shoot with equip under a grand and take amazing photos, people love them, buy them and pay high prices to get them. If you feel your art as a photographer is worth that then go ahead. If you dont think you're worth it, charge less. Theres no definite answer. When you start getting into a business and start building it up, you have greater overhead, which *can* warrant higher prices. It costs more to shoot now.

All in all, you don't need high end to charge more per picture. and if you shoot high end, it doesnt mean you automatically get to charge more.

Thank goodness you let me know my opinion mattered. Without the supporting words of some random person on the internet, my entire psyche would be in tatters!!!

*headdesk*

some photography can only be achieved by using higher end cameras and lenses and what not to achieve real crisp images as well. Say for instance sporting events indoors. Say i wanna shoot roller hockey indoors under reallllllllllyyyyyyyy bad fluorescent lighting. A camera say for the sake of argument *canon 5dm2*:lol: with a 70-200 f2.8 lense will achieve much better results than a xti or one of the entry level dslr's. But thats just in this case, another similar event would be something like indoor cheerleading. Of course both events without flash.

So sometimes it will warrant to have the better equip, which will lead to higher pricing, so on and so forth.

Thank goodness you let me know my opinion mattered. Without the supporting words of some random person on the internet, my entire psyche would be in tatters!!!

*headdesk*
I don't really think your opinion does matter. Now, if Ken Rockwell wasn't out there, then it might... but his opinion usurps everyone elses mojo. So, if you really want an opinion that matters, you'll have to get rid of Ken Rockwell.

Just a thought.

Oh, and should I wear boxers or briefs? Since Ken hasn't chimed in on this subject, your opinion does matter.

Bark- heres my physcologism of the day. Yes physcologism! I think it comes down to what you want out of photography. You can shoot with equip under a grand and take amazing photos, people love them, buy them and pay high prices to get them. If you feel your art as a photographer is worth that then go ahead. If you dont think you're worth it, charge less. Theres no definite answer. When you start getting into a business and start building it up, you have greater overhead, which *can* warrant higher prices. It costs more to shoot now.

All in all, you don't need high end to charge more per picture. and if you shoot high end, it doesnt mean you automatically get to charge more.

Thank you. This makes sense.

*headdesk*

I didn't mean it like that... nevermind. I think I suck at online conversation, lol :confused:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back