Do you need filters anymore if you have PS

norris_watkins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im a beginner ( Although I ve been walking around with camera for a long time )
In the old days of optical camera, I used to see people with many filters in their bag ( like warming filter, orange filter, star burst etc. ).

But since I have a new Canon Xsi Digital camera and Photoshop, do I need filters anymore ( which not only introduces optical artifacts but also eats up light, I read ).
Cant I do these kind of filtering using Photoshop. ?

--nw

while a lot of filters commonly used with film are now obsolete with digital photography there are still a few that cannot be recreated or are much too annoying to recreate with photoshop
a polarizing filter, for example, boosts colors while deepening blue and green, as well as cuts down on reflection, this effect cannot be reproduced in photoshop
as well as, say the UV filter, which cuts down on UV haze in a photo (as well as being the generic "protective" filter for lenses)

so, really its a matter of knowing which filters u want to use, and if the effects can be recreated in photoshop or not

Another useful filter is the graduated ND (Neutral Density). It can save alot of photoshop work.

Another useful filter is the graduated ND (Neutral Density). It can save alot of photoshop work.

And you *can't* recreate the regular ND filter effect in photoshop. So if you like to take long exposures in the day (ie, waterfalls) you pretty much need a ND filter.

Just adding to the list.

Don't go overboard buying filters. It can get expensive and, depending on what you shoot, you may find you don't need what you bought. Get yourself a circular polarizer (you'll be glad you did) -- then buy the others as you learn that you need them.

And if your considering ND grads you may want to have a look at the Cokin P series square filters. You can adjust them to fit your landscape shots.

And if your considering ND grads you may want to have a look at the Cokin P series square filters. You can adjust them to fit your landscape shots.
I agree. If you hadnt said it I was going to. But a Circular Polarizer is great and, I have some of the Nikon Clear Glass for lense protection. Filters only srew up an image if you use the cheap ones. Multicoated are the best choice from manufacturers like Hoya and, B&W.

I agree. If you hadnt said it I was going to. But a Circular Polarizer is great and, I have some of the Nikon Clear Glass for lense protection. Filters only srew up an image if you use the cheap ones. Multicoated are the best choice from manufacturers like Hoya and, B&W.

I've never used it, but there is a Circular Polarizer in the Cokin P line .... might be worth looking into.

The infrared filter is still useful if you like infrared photography. Photoshop can't reproduce IR very well.

I've never used it, but there is a Circular Polarizer in the Cokin P line .... might be worth looking into.
The only problem with a CP is the foreground is always black. Here is an example of one I shot with a CP.
280137141_ZY5sW-L.jpg

I dunno ... this uses a CP

_MG_4816copy.jpg

I was thinking sunsets. Im in the wrong thread. :lol:
I do use a CP alot though. To the OP you can do filter effects if you want to spend the extra money on addon plugins like NikColorEffex.

Hi Joves :
On another thread I was asking about sunset pictures in general.
I was wondering exactly about how people take pictures exactly like the one you posted.
Could you please post the exposure/lense/speed/iso along with the filters you used ?

--nw

Filters are indeed still needed. you can do a lot in photoshop, but being able to do it in the camera will result with much better images. I use a bunch of filters, circular polarization, neutral density, black promist, softfx, warming, uv.

Granted it all depends on your knowledge base, and where you like to spend more of your time? would you rather be behind the lens, or behind a monitor?

A polarizer is the big one that can't be replicated in Photoshop. I use them quite often when shooting outdoors in sunny conditions.

While there certainly is something to be said about using filters to get the shot 'in camera'...the one thing that dissuades me from doing that is the unlimited versatility of doing it in Photoshop. For example, if you wanted a soft focus effect, you could use a filter for that...but then the only option of how much effect you want, is the filter you have. With photoshop, you can precisely control the degree and amount of that effect, and even apply it to selected parts of the image and not to others etc.
A warming filter can be replicated even without photoshop...just play with the white balance.

Also, every thing you put in front of the lens, will probably degrade the image. It's probably a minuscule amount with good quality filters...but it's still there, none the less.

Also, a circular polarizer can only achieve it's strongest effect when pointed at 90 degrees to the sunlight. So when using a CP and pointing at the sun, you will only get a minimal (if any) effect.

Most reactions

Back