Do you own a good mirror lens?

matfoster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Do you own a good mirror lens?

i had one a while ago. pawned it and never went back to pay-up and collect.
don't remember the make. 500mm MF. i was ok with the doughnut bokeh, just could rarely if ever get a sharp picture using it. interested if anyone uses one and could recommend it.

Oh, but there is such a thing as a good mirror lens.

Nikon made a very nice one.

I haven't seen one in years though.

The one's around today are just a novelty piece.

yes. i recall some nice shots from Nikons. maybe i can find the ID of a specific lens with example pictures sometime.
Well be careful with posting images that aren't yours as most photography forums don't allow that:

* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.

The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - FAQ

Oh, looks like you have a sticky Shift key.

There have been some pretty good mirror lenses over the years. The new Sony 500mm autofocus model is one of the current best. The various models of the 500mm f/8 Reflex~NIKKOR by Nikon have been quite good. Vivitar's 450mm Series 1 solid catadioptric was a superb mirror lens. I'm currently in possession of another superb mirror lens, the 600mm f/8 Vivitar Series 1 solid catadioptric--made of three pounds of solid optical glass. The "solid cats" used a different construction method than other, more conventional mirror lens designs.

The multitudes of low-cost $125-$169 500mm f/8 catadioptric lenses have done the lens type a terrible disservice; it is possible to design a very good catadioptric lens. Here is how incredibly compact the "solid" catadioptric can be built--even shorter than the typical 500mm f/8, this is the Vivitar Series 1 600mm f/8 solid cat, made by the famous US space program supplier Perkin-Elmer.
120359998.vtTZ8QYP.DSC_0252_600Catvs55mmmacro.jpg

I've got a Olympus one up stairs, in my old lens box. Ain't used it in ages!

yes. i recall some nice shots from Nikons. maybe i can find the ID of a specific lens with example pictures sometime.
Well be careful with posting images that aren't yours as most photography forums don't allow that:

* You agree to only post images and/or other material to which you have exclusive copyright, or permission from the copyright holder that you are able to present to TPF Staff. Under no circumstances will any instance of copyright infringement be tolerated.
The Photo Forum - Photography Discussion Forum - FAQ

Oh, looks like you have a sticky Shift key.

no problem here with the shift key and never any intention to post the pictures i'm looking for here, on TPF.

thanks Derrel. nicely put about the lower price models, it has created this negative perception of catadioptric lenses. the Vivitar commissioned Series 1's have a good reputation i think. for my own purposes, these lenses felt nice to use birding (with a collapsed-down monopod, stood inside a messengerbag, hung from my neck) but i've noticed a lot of discussion on the web, from astronomy enthusiasts. this is a style of telescope design also?

yes, i think i would too. the lens i had was very cheap but i think i was also at a disadvantage in that i didn't change my focussing screen to something like a split-screen. unfamiliarity with Canon systems. i used several on my Nikon F3 - removable prism..very straightforward to switchout.

I bought a Reflex Nikkor 500mm f8 back in the eighties, was never sharp enough. I've tried it on my D300, and still not sharp. I got a 300mm f4 Afs and tc17e, Just as sharp as could be. Murray

Most reactions

Back