Do you own your photos?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Ant, May 27, 2005.

1. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

2. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I didn't think you were even allowed to photograph copyrighted stuff. That might only be in France. There was a big kerfuffle about photographing the Eiffel Tower a few years ago because the lighting of it is actually copyrighted. And everyone was saying how you're not allowed to photograph it anymore. ummm...But that might be only if you're gonna sell it. ohh I can't remember.

3. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ok I've read part of that link where everyone is saying that it's okay for him and he's in the right... but I have a feeling he's in the wrong.

He's taken a photo of someone elses legal property and identity so surely that person can request it be taken away or not used.

4. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

In most cases the law in the UK and US says that it's the photographers property if taken from a public place. But it gets a bit grey when there are copyrights in place.

If you take a photo with a Coca-cola can in it do you own the photo copywrite or does Coca-Cola?

5. binglemybongle

binglemybongle TPF Noob!

QUOTE:
    What happens if you photograph something with a copywrited design; who owns the photo copywrite, you as the photographer or the copywrite owner of the subject?

Does this also apply to Andy Warhol's printing?

Did he apply to campbell's for use of a copyright or were they happy to keep quiet because their sales had doubled and their brand/label had become iconic?!:lmao:

6. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I found this

So it looks like in the UK the airline company would own copyright of the plane and logo but the photographer would own copyright of the photograph. I'd guess that if you weren't trying to pass yourself off as the airline company or sell the image on the strength of their logo/design then there isn't too much they could do to you.

But as i read on another thread...how far would you be willing to push it to prove you're right?
    Best bet would probably be to contact them and ask which copyright law you've broken.

7. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

Photographer holds copyright to any image created by themself. PERIOD. regardless of the content. If you painted an oil painting of the same image would the company try to claim it or make it be pulled down, NO. Companies are soo stupid and they think they can do anything. The logos of the companie are copyrighted to the company but the world isnt.