Do you put a copyright notice on your website?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by misol, Aug 10, 2009.

1. misol

misol TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am going to be using website, blog and facebook to get my name out there. I know there is a big risk of people copying and printing. Its going to be in my contract with clients but I would also like to put a copy right statement. Not just that material has a copy right but that it is illegal to copy or print, etc. Does anyone have a statement they use for this?

2. jess28

jess28 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would be short and to the point. "All images copyright (insert name here) and may not be reproduced without written authorization"

Two great bits of advice I received on here yesterday:
    If it is online expect it to be stolen, and only use low resolution (Thanks again KMH!)

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Jess - if its online it will be taken and used, you can't stop that at all - but there are steps you can take.

1) small sizes - 600pixles to 800 (on the longest side) is far large enough for most display images and greatly limits printable options - for client preview images you might even got a little lower if you wish to just show composition

2) watermarks - any determined theif can remove them so they won't stop theft, but what they can do is be your own free adverts - a small unobtrusive watermark with your name or website listed - clear to read as well. Then when your image does get put about the web your watermark will go along with it and be your free advert

4. misol

misol TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks guys. I will use these. After reading Jess's post, I am going to size all my photos small for viewing...and need to figure out how to water mark them! Project for today. I just hate the idea of someone taking them because I would have to be so mad! lol

5. AfroKen

AfroKen TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I put my website name on my photos because, as Jess28 points out, if it's on the internet, it will be stolen. I also limit my photos to 600 pixels (long side; they often are something like 600x400 pixels).

I came across this company that has invisible, and apparently traceable, watermarks, and was wondering if anyone knew anything about those.