Do you really need to watermark? Alternatives?

I never said it was inevitable, I just said that it is unpreventable. Those are two different things and you are trying to imply that they are one.

You are seeing the words "stop" and "limit" as being one and the same (see your post above), and that just isn't the case. Nobody said that there aren't ways to limit theft. Thinking that anything you do can stop somebody from taking it is just delusional. Yes, you can take steps to make them not want it, but if they are determined to have it - nothing you do can stop it once it's online.

If you don't want your images edited then do not post them online. :lmao:

I don't care if you edit my images. How could I stop you anyway? I just don't want to see the result.
That's why I have the "not OK to edit" option checked.

You just joined, so I understand that you probably haven't seen what some people's idea of "helping you fix your picture" can look like. I'm not talking about a crop suggestion, or something simple like that.

I know that little message under my name can't stop anything - it's just my way of saying "do whatever you want - just don't show me unless I ask for it"

More than likely they will leave your site and try and find it elsewhere.

I LOLed. :lmao:

No. They won't. If they want that picture, they will take that picture.

No. But studies have shown that very very very few users attempt to steal an image if right click|copy is disabled. Most just move on.
HA! I LOLed again. What "studies" are you referring to?

If "right click" is "disabled", (it's not on my computer, I have scripts disabled by default), they will simply hit the Windows Menu key and get their drop-down menu.

Who cares about source code?
Only people that are trying to take your pictures. Duh. ;)

Source code gives you very quick access to the image location, where you could easily copy and paste into an address bar and grab the image. As my 7 year old would say, "easy peasy, extra cheesy". :lmao:

There aren't many ways to stop images being stolen, there's just one: don't put them online. It's a simple fact, it has nothing to do with right or wrong or blindly accepting it.
Again - that is just simply not true. You obviously just do not want to investigate the ways that limit image theft in which case you should be silent on the issue but you are making yourself look foolish.
OMG, I snorted coffee through my nose and onto my keyboard! :lol: Talk about looking "foolish". :mrgreen:

It also makes me smile that those members who say
My photos are not OK to edit
are the ones advocating not putting your images on the web unless you accept theft is inevitable.
That is for this board. When people place an image, they are asking you not to edit it and re-display it ON THIS FORUM. Do try to pay attention.

If you believe that there is no way to prevent image theft then you are misguided. There are a multitude of ways and the real answer is that you are to lazy to investigate them.
See above. You got an image that you think can't be stolen? Post up or shut up.

But please don't pollute new photographers with your apathetic views upon the theft of peoples artwork. It's actually offensive.
Finally, we agree on something. :thumbup:

But please don't pollute new photographers with your apathetic views upon the theft of peoples artwork. It's actually offensive.

Finally, we agree on something. :thumbup:

Well shut up then. Unless you have something contructive to contribute to the thread.
No? I assume you are going with the shutting up then...:thumbup:

You got an image that you think can't be stolen? Post up or shut up.

I didn't think you'd want to prove your drivel. :lmao:

I can prove that you can't post an image I can't steal. You can't prove I can't. ;)

Go ahead and finish with the index finger and thumb in the shape of an "L" on your forehead. :lol:

Well, getting back on topic....

Watermarking does prevent people from stealing work, but doesnt make it impossible.

Alternatives? The lovely folks here are right, if you dont want it stolen, dont post it.

I usually decide to watermark the photos I try to sell online and use a lower reselution (usually 6-800 pixels wide, and use more jpg compression)

No. But studies have shown that very very very few users attempt to steal an image if right click|copy is disabled. Most just move on.

Link please.

Or I could make one up too:
Studies have sown that people who are deluded and desperate enough to make a name for themsevles by stealing other peoples work will go to any lengths to steal it.

Studies have also shown that a lot of people run Mozilla Firefox with script blockers rendering your Javascript totally useless, and people won't even notice that your have script.

Link please.

Yeah, right. :lmao:

He hasn't attempted to prove anything he's posted so far, he's not about to start now. Unless you consider name-calling proof. :D

I don't watermark. I don't worry about people stealing my images...it is going to happen....it has happened to me, no big deal.

Agreed, on all points.:thumbup::thumbup:

This may be way off topic. But I have seen some really cool watermarks- So much I would use that photographer-- well, unless the really cool watermark was on a horrible picture. Then I know to stay clear of that photographer.

I don't watermark. I don't worry about people stealing my images...it is going to happen....it has happened to me, no big deal.

I agree as well. It is an unfortunate truth.

It's sad that this is the way it is, but what can you do about it?

I don't lose any sleep over it though...

It wouldn't surprise me if some of my images were being used somewhere (it also wouldn't surprise me if none of them were, lol). Not really sure how I would know, until I saw one somewhere.

I know there's tineye, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I've fed it pictures that I know are being hosted on several websites, and get no results...
I have actually never gave it one that it actually found online somewhere...

Right, on my blog I use watermarks only to advance brand name. I make it easy to steal the images (low res of course) and hope that they will spread the images around so that my name and brand will spread. Can they crop the logo out? sure. But why? the watermark is not that distracting, and I tried to make it attractive.

Now, if I ever have a competing photographer saying it's his own, I might do something about it, but otherwise, I just try to use the fact people can steal the images as much to my advantage as I can.

I add a little "watermark" (elevenshadows.com) identifier in some hopefully unobtrusive area of the photo and set the opacity so it doesn't kill the photo, and then hope for the best. Like others have pointed out, it's inevitable that people are gonna steal your photos, so I just put a little mark on it and put it out there.

I watermark purely because Picasa 3.0 has it as an optional tick box. It just adds a small personal touch to my photos I think.

Occasionally it gets in the way of the details in which case I have to re-export the image with no watermark.

I think watermarking has a place. I use it for client proofing galleries to deter simple screen grabs. My watermarks are very, very subtle but would still be extremely difficult to remove for the average person.

I think watermarks on portfolio pieces look self-indulgent. Are there really all these photo thieve ninja bandits out there? Objectively, are your images really that kick ass for someone to want to steal? Are you posting 3000x2000 pixel images online? From my experience, most professional photographers whose works make your mouth drop have no watermarks in sight. They want to display their images unobstructed.

I really don't think anyone should lose a millisecond of sleep over this.

Best regards,

Kkamin

Most reactions

New Topics

Back