Do you recommend to rent a lens?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Several photographers persuade me to rent and try out the lenses at borrowlenses.com. Is it worth it? I'm afraid renting lenses can eat up my wallet.

Ive done it a bunch but only when I have a specific need for it. I've also done a 3day to see if I wanted to purchase that lens or not.

I agree with runnah. I've done it to test out a lens and I've done it because I needed a certain lens for just a day or two but wasn't in a position to buy it or didn't need to buy it at this time.

Only if the job can easily pay for the rental.
If you're planning on buying the lens, AND the lens rental fee can be applied toward the purchase price of the same lens within 30 days, is it worth renting. For example, their over $40 7-day rental fee on a Nikon 18-140mm zoom? Come on man...that's ridiculous. The rental cost for 7 days is almost 10% of the retail price of the damned thing. That's an outrageous rental fee for that lens.

In my case Derrel, it was for a 24-70mm f/2.8 L because they wouldn't allow me to take my 70-200mm into the venue. I needed fast glass for low light cheer competition. I need (want) this lens but don't have the $1,200 to get it right now.

tecboy said:
Several photographers persuade me to rent and try out the lenses at borrowlenses.com. Is it worth it? I'm afraid renting lenses can eat up my wallet.

Anybody who is a friend of yours ought to let you try out/shoot one of their lenses. But random people telling you to rent lenses? Ummmmm...do they have your best interests in mind? Seriously....you've posted a number of times about some things other photographers there in California have said to you, and it sounds like there are plenty of A-holes that you run into quite often...

Renting is great when:

1) You need a specific bit of kit (or several) for a single use or for a limited period of time (a few days or so). It lets you get the expensive high end gear you need whilst remaining at an affordable price. If working for a client its a cost you'd roll into the costs they'd pay if its something outside of the normal services you'd provide (or conditions of a normal shoot are significantly outside your normal package).
Note - if your costs are enough up-front you might be able to rent without an additional charge - or if you have a package that oft requires rented gear then roll the cost into the basic cost from the start.

2) When you want to try something out that is a very high end lens and no local store or club has one to try. Things like big super telephoto primes many shops just won't get in to have a look at. They'll sell it to you but not let you just try it. It also means you can try it out in the field; in a real world shoot for you not just holding it for 5 mins at the local store

Luckily, LensRentals is based here in town and I have a few connections in their staff for loaners.... :thumbyo::thumbyo:

I've rented lenses just to take 'em out for a spin. Usually, I rent them in pairs to drag race 'em and see who has the best results.

My last one was putting the Nikkor 16mm fisheye against the Siggy 15mm. The latter won.

I've rented a wide angle lens for a trip and a flash for a wedding before because I didn't have enough money to purchase them at the time. It worked out fine and the rental cost was reasonable but I feel the shipping is a little too high. $25 for ground shipping can easily be a deal breaker.

tecboy said:

Anybody who is a friend of yours ought to let you try out/shoot one of their lenses. But random people telling you to rent lenses? Ummmmm...do they have your best interests in mind? Seriously....you've posted a number of times about some things other photographers there in California have said to you, and it sounds like there are plenty of A-holes that you run into quite often...

What do you expect? I hang around groupies.

I am going to rent the Pentax SMCP DA*300mm f/4 ED SDM From Lens rental before I drop $1,100 on more glass. its $52.oo for 4 days.If I don't like it no big deal, I just return it in 4 days.If its what everyone says it is,It will be my new lens in the beginning of June.

Last edited:
tecboy said:

Hey Derrel, not only that, I met a photographer, and he said he only uses L series lenses, no other lenses.

tecboy said:

Hey Derrel, not only that, I met a photographer, and he said he only uses L series lenses, no other lenses.

Sounds like an asshole.

tecboy said:

Sounds like an asshole.
Agree... especially if he shoot Nikon. :biggrin-93:

Most reactions

Back