Do you recommend to rent a lens?

[QUOTE="tecboy"What do you expect? I hang around groupies.[/QUOTE]

My answer was directed specifically to YOU, techboy. We've all heard some of the c*** your associates have told you...and seriously, it does seem like some of those people are not people who have your best interests in mind. For example, please re-read what I wrote to YOU: if you want to rent a lens, rent one locally, from a company that will give you the rental fee as a credit toward the purchase of the lens if you buy one of that model within a reasonable time frame--like 30 days. OR....if you really NEED a lens for a job, and the job easily pays for the rental, it makes sense.

But I mean hell...these guys are suggesting you rent lenses, on your dime, so that you can....what, exactly? Make some real friends.

Several photographers persuade me to rent and try out the lenses at borrowlenses.com. Is it worth it? I'm afraid renting lenses can eat up my wallet.

Renting a lens isn't a bad thing if you need it and the rental fee doesn't bankrupt you. The last lens i rented was a Tamron 150-600mm. I was on a 3 day trip photographing Whales. I had the money to buy the lens but I just don't need this range enough to justify the cost of buying one. So a 3 day rental fee was worth it to me.

[QUOTE="tecboy"What do you expect? I hang around groupies.
My answer was directed specifically to YOU, techboy. We've all heard some of the c*** your associates have told you...and seriously, it does seem like some of those people are not people who have your best interests in mind. For example, please re-read what I wrote to YOU: if you want to rent a lens, rent one locally, from a company that will give you the rental fee as a credit toward the purchase of the lens if you buy one of that model within a reasonable time frame--like 30 days. OR....if you really NEED a lens for a job, and the job easily pays for the rental, it makes sense.

But I mean hell...these guys are suggesting you rent lenses, on your dime, so that you can....what, exactly? Make some real friends.

The reason I ask this question, because I don't have the reason to rent a lens or more than one, and I have all the gear I need. These photographers that I keep seeing them regularly, and I keep hearing borrowlenses.com is good only if you want to try these lenses. I thought about renting a telephoto lens, but I feel it is just a waste of money. Beside, I don't always listen to them. I just want to hear others' opinions.

Also, there is nothing wrong hanging around these photographers even thought they are not professional. I learned a lot from them that made me a better photographer.

Depends on the reason for renting a lens. You have something booked and are having a lens problem, rent what you need.
You have a job that requires the use of a specality lens like a tilt/shift and have no reason to need one after that, rent the lens.
If you have never shot BIG glass, i.e. 400mm f2.8 or bigger, rent what you are looking at. Big glass is a bit different and not a beast for everyone to handle.

Other than that, Not a big fan of renting.

Not always.
See we all have our hobbies and so long as what you earn leaves some disposable income then one can save up. Some people will say "Gosh you've a huge lens you must be rich" but chances are you might buy cheap clothing - drive an older lower end car - eat modestly - not go to the pub - not gamble etc.... Yes you've got a very expensive lens and camera system, but you might make up for that by going with less or without in other areas that those people would consider important.

So some will have bought those big lenses; in fact most who use them often will have done so. Renting long term is not much sense unless the items are insanely priced or you are working in conditions where you need the back-up of rental insurance due to the equipment being at high risk (even then that might not be viable long term as rental companies don't rent-out to have gear destroyed).

Very true Over. I own both the 300 & 400mm f2.8's. When I first considered the 400mm I rented to give it a try, see if I liked it and it like me. We liked each other so I saved, scrimped and worked OT to buy one. Since then I purchased the 300mm f2.8 as well as a used 2oomm f2.0 (lightly used).

Not always.
See we all have our hobbies and so long as what you earn leaves some disposable income then one can save up. Some people will say "Gosh you've a huge lens you must be rich" but chances are you might buy cheap clothing - drive an older lower end car - eat modestly - not go to the pub - not gamble etc.... Yes you've got a very expensive lens and camera system, but you might make up for that by going with less or without in other areas that those people would consider important.

So some will have bought those big lenses; in fact most who use them often will have done so. Renting long term is not much sense unless the items are insanely priced or you are working in conditions where you need the back-up of rental insurance due to the equipment being at high risk (even then that might not be viable long term as rental companies don't rent-out to have gear destroyed).

My camera gear is probably worth twice what I paid for my car. :lol:
I spend MOST of my discretionary income on two things--camera-related stuff, and travel. And the travel is primarily so I can go other places and do photography.

And SOME of us get lenses for free because the person we wrote the check to never deposited it............
fiufiu.gif

An alternative to outright renting is to look at the historical value of a lens your considering. If a lens you're interested in maintains it's value, you could probably buy a used one at market value, try it out, and if it doesn't work out for you just turn around and sell it for pretty much what you paid for it. This may net you 'renting' a $2,000 lens for 10 or 20 bucks for a couple weeks, but of course you pays your money and takes your chances.

Most reactions

Back