Do you regret anything?

My only regret is that hobbies are catered too much to rich people and I can't get a dSLR (I only have a superzoom). But by buying a superzoom and learning with it and exploring the forum here, at least I know exactly what I want when I can go the dSLR route and won't waste money on too less of a body and kit lenses.

My only regret is that hobbies are catered too much to rich people and I can't get a dSLR (I only have a superzoom). But by buying a superzoom and learning with it and exploring the forum here, at least I know exactly what I want when I can go the dSLR route and won't waste money on too less of a body and kit lenses.

You can get a Canon 300D for about $200-$250. That's cheaper than a lot of P&S cameras.

I think the only thing I regret is going with the D40, like a couple of others. I'ts a nice little camera, but I should gone with the D90. That is going to be by next purchase. At least I'll have the D40 for backup or for my wife to use, should she want to get into photography.

I regret not buying the Tamron lenses sooner. I love my 70-200 2.8 and 17-50 2.8. Other than that I don't have any buyers remorse at all.

I regret that I spent so much time and money caught up in the gear and acquiring new gear. If I could go back in time and give myself advice 15 years ago I'd tell me to forget about all the cameras and lenses because they are insignificant compared to the light. Spend your time and energy getting better with the gear you have, rather than spending time and energy and money getting better gear.

I regret being a die-hard, anti-digital, film geek for as long as I was. I feared the new technology made my skills and knowledge obsolete (because I was all hung up on the gear and process). That was a huge waste of time and energy (I don't mean using film was a waste of time, but bitching about digital sure was).

I regret not selling my film gear sooner. After 2003ish it's value plummeted.

Last edited:
No real regrets. The only one is I wish I had sprung for the 16-35 mk 2 instead of the mk 1. I understand that the edge sharpness is better on the mk 2 version.

You can get a Canon 300D for about $200-$250. That's cheaper than a lot of P&S cameras.
My superzoom has a lot more reach in the lens than any dSLR body without a lens no matter how cheap you can get it used :sexywink:

Regrets - only that it took me so long to get the money for the Sony-100, that I'm still at the back of the line! I'm grateful that all the minolta lenses my husband and I have work on the sony - that was a blessing!
Other regrets - that I can not afford to buy any new lenses, filters, tripod or a better camera bag. But - thats life sometimes. :)

I regret that my husband does not understand the need to spend $2000 on a nice piece of glass!

Except for a bum lens or two, I rarely regret any buys. But sells? Shoot!

Leica M3 DS with 50mm f2 DR lens.

Minolta MD 100mm f2.5

Nikon FE2 w/ MD12

Maxxum 9000 w/MD

Canon FD 100-300mm lens. ( I sold that before I saw the results it would give me at 300)

PS Oh yeah, a Mamiya 6

Last edited:
I regret not be born rich and, that is about it. As far as gear goes no regrets what so ever.

My only regrets was buying my D80 4 months before it's price nosedived. And for buying a 55-200 lens because it was 50% off when Compusa closed down and sold it for $120.

I havn't even seen a need for it.

My only regret is not learning more about using my flash and flash photography when I was working with the pros. I love natural light, but I realize now that I need to really work on my flash for doing recpetions and such :(

I kind of look at flash as my enemy b/c I am afraid of it :p I just need to suck it up and LEARN!

I kind of wish I had gone with Canon instead of Olympus....

But in the end I'm not a Pro and I love it and it works great for what I need.

My regret...hmmm.... I bought the d40x which at the time was all I thought I needed. As my hobby has turned into a business, I've learned so much more and I need to upgrade asap! I personally like the d40x for portraits but I'm going to upgrade to the d700 for weddings. My regret is that I bought my camera off ebay, and I will never do that again. I ended up with a model from the Japan market and by the time I opened I read all my paper work from the store from which I bought it, it was to late to send it back. I have not had any problems with the camera and I bought a 3rd party warranty, but Im not sure that will even do me any good if the camera breaks, it kind of seemed like a scam after I bought it. Oh well, you live and you learn!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back