Do you see photos in everyday life?

First I didn't, then I did, now I don't again.

When I first started I took my camera everywhere, I would think I saw photos everywhere and then shoot them. These days, I only take my camera when I fully intend to take photos and not "just in case" and I can actually seem to turn my photographer mode on and off as I need/want to.

Sometimes I even think to myself - there is a photo here, but I'd rather see the thing than miss it whilst trying to capture the photo.

Constantly. I see more when I don't have my camera funnily enough. Sometimes it's just cool light, sometimes nice angles often it's a fleeting moment in time.

I see pictures in everything, tough to turn it off. They may not be great pictures, but they are always there. I use some of what I see during future shoots, everything is an idea.

Yes, I see those shots all the time. Then my wife interrupts and says, "No you're not stopping. I'm not waiting in the car."

I try not to. People who brag about seeing photos everywhere generally have no clear concept. Their work is just stuff. It might be excellent stuff, but it's just stuff.

For my work I'm usually working a pretty specific and clear concept, and I consciously avoid all those other photos.

I try not to. People who brag about seeing photos everywhere generally have no clear concept. Their work is just stuff. It might be excellent stuff, but it's just stuff.

For my work I'm usually working a pretty specific and clear concept, and I consciously avoid all those other photos.
No offense but your work might just appear as another 'stuff' to others [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the point:

If you see pictures in everyday life, and shoot them, you might get perfectly good pictures. But what concept or idea do they convey? What is your purpose in making this photos?

Usually the answer is 'I want to make nice pictures' which is fine but pretty unfocused. You're not exactly putting together a coherent portfolio, a body of work that fits together. You're just taking nice pictures. Maybe.

Most people with cameras just want to make nice pictures. Maybe, the ambitious ones, have a sort of documentary goal, perhaps they want a good set of family photos from the birth of the kids onwards. Or the want to document their neighborhood. Whatever.

That's great. More power to you.

Not my thing. I try to make coherent bodies of work, portfolios that carry an idea, that sort of thing. Self evidently you can't succeed at that by taking every photo that you see.

If you look at the work of people who do claim to see photos everywhere, you'll find, if you're lucky, a bunch of nice pictures. A photo of some flowers. These rocks. That pretty girl. This guy and his dog.

It's all over the place.

My work isn't. Whether it works as a coherent body of work or not is almost of no concern to me. I'm doing my best, it works for me. It's all I can do, I can do no more.

The best portfolios are a collection of photos taken over a long period. These normally comes from a collection of unrelated photos. You are not wrong in doing it your way. Why bother how others do it in their own way? Yours is not the only 'good' way ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And where, exactly, did I suggest that my way was the only way?

Unlike most people on the internet, I contribute mainly when I have an alternate viewpoint, not when all I have to say is ME TOO! +1 LIKE!

Also, I disagree with your description of the best portfolios. I think it is completely wrong. Is be interested, though, in some examples.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back