Do you shoot in continous mode for action subject?

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The continuous mode seems very convenience while I was shooting the racing events. However, it can eats a lot of spaces in my sd card and may not focus the subject correctly.

Not very often. The D40 buffer fills up pretty quickly, especially when shooting raw. I can generally keep up with what I'm shooting without S&P.

Typically Ai Focus, high-speed continuous. Learn to shoot in short bursts -- like, 2-3 at a time, unless you happen to be tracking something really good.

I mostly shoot my fast-moving kids so usually continuous-high, fired in 2-3round bursts if I catch them moving as I'm taking the shot.

Continues focus yes high speed continues shooting yes again.Since I shoot birds in flight and on sticks and are not predictable, they can change directions in a blink.

Do you shoot in continous [sic] mode for action subject?
Continuous focus mode? Yes.
Burst (continuous) shutter mode. Sometimes.

I didn't know there is such a thing likes continuous focus mode. I think my dslr has AI Servo mode. Is that a same thing?

Do you shoot in continous [sic] mode for action subject?
Continuous focus mode? Yes.
Burst (continuous) shutter mode. Sometimes.

I didn't know there is such a thing likes continuous focus mode. I think my dslr has AI Servo mode. Is that a same thing?

Yes.

To answer the question in the OP, I leave mine on continuous mode. If I want one picture I just press the shutter once.

NAHH. The D800's buffer at 14bit lossless compressed raw and 4fps is not even worth it. I typically shoot in CL or S and hope for the best.

Jake

Continuous AF and fastest FPS. I also shoot JPEG's only in this case. I do bursts of 3 to avoid filling up the buffer way too quick.

470479_10150924525408600_759063576_o[1].jpg

nik0212[1].jpg

Last edited:
If your focus is single-servo, then only the first shot of a sequence is focused, and unless the distance doesn't change, following shots will drift out of focus.

I don't know about Canons, but Nikons also have a focus-priority selection, where you can tell the camera not to fire unless it has good focus, or that it fires when you press, regardless of focus detection. The good focus requirement will slow it down, maybe even prevent some shots altogether.

I almost never shoot in cont mode and sometimes regret. I need to do it more often, but forget about it.

I also have mine set up as AF-S single shot to focus priority.In AF-C continues set to Release Priority and focus hold set to medium. Sometime I use Center cross type with expanded 9 cross type or expanded 25 or just the center point depending on what I am shooting. On my K-3 I have 25 Cross type focus points out of 27 that come in handy. I shot this Osprey in continues focus and only using the Center Cross type Point and the Egret.

IMGP2167 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr
IMGP2163 by DarkShadow191145, on Flickr

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back