Do you shoot in continous mode for action subject?

I think the biggest help for you will be back button focus. Keep in mind that it will take some getting used to but once you do it, I think you will like it. Here is an article talking about how to set up for Canon's.

This seems to be more than just a focus problem. Shutter speed and panning speed also apply.
It's probably going to take some practice.

IMHO, panning needs some time to get use to. For car and motorcycle races, you want the shutter speed just fast enough to not cause blurriness but slow enough to convey motion, ie you don't want to freeze the wheels. Your panning action has to be very smooth and it helps if your lens has VR/IS. I pan with the car/bike before I take the shot and only fire when it gets to a specific spot on a track. That way, I can predict the movement so my panning action can be smooth.

Okay. I posted these not to0 long ago. Maybe you can give me some feedback.
Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix 2015 Photography Forum

A quick look at it, 1/125 is a bit slow IMHO for fast going cars. I keep it at around 1/500 or above for racing. DOF is personal taste but I keep it between 2.8-5.6 since my longest zoom is the 70-200. The panning motion blur and shallow DOF should get rid of the distracting background. The street bike photo was taken at 1/400 f4 if I remember it correctly.

Okay. I posted these not to0 long ago. Maybe you can give me some feedback.
Continental Tire Monterey Grand Prix 2015 Photography Forum

A quick look at it, 1/125 is a bit slow IMHO for fast going cars. I keep it at around 1/500 or above for racing. DOF is personal taste but I keep it between 2.8-5.6 since my longest zoom is the 70-200. The panning motion blur and shallow DOF should get rid of the distracting background. The street bike photo was taken at 1/400 f4 if I remember it correctly.

I dunno. I like slower shutter speed. It gives me the sense the cars are going fast in motion.

IMHO, 1/125 is WAY too slow for motorsports. That's the shutter speed I typically shoot model portraits in studios :D

You have to increase your pan rate to create perception of speed while maintain just high enough shutter speed to prevent unwanted motion blur. You do that by filling the frame, or get much closer. The shots I did, both bikers were going no more than 45mph but I pan much faster. :D

I think it is all depend on the photographer as an artist. I just want to get the billboard in the background. I have more pictures with very close up subjects. I'm sorting all the photographs, and I will post more soon.

Yeah totally. Wider angles can tolerate more slower shutter speed. You just have to pick when to use what to convey your message.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back