• Sometimes

Votes: 21 50.0%

• Total voters

R6_Dude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to see if I should get one for my 55-250mmIS lens. Read a few reviews and articles reommending it. However some have said that it is a hassle and not very convenient?

Is the lens hood for the 55-250 compatible with any other lens?

Always, because it looks cool ;)

In for "always." Even when indoors I usually just leave them on. The only lens I don't have a hood for is my 50mm.

Since I shoot with Canon, I don't really have to worry about hoods as lens flare isn't a problem with most lenses, and when it does occur it's ever so slight and artistic... :D

So, I put "sometimes".

A lens hood can prevent lens flare and light entering the lens at wide angles bouncing off the interior part of the lens barrel which degrades an image.

There are some practical points to consider. If it is a case of shooting in scenic areas where there are few or no people around, then it may be advantageous to simply put your lens hood on a wide angle or telephoto zoom and get out of your car and shoot.

The disadvantage in some areas and some countries is that placing a substantial lens hood on a telephoto lens connected to a DSLR brings you a considerable amount of visual attention that is not always wanted, particularly if it is from pickpockets, beggers, muggers, and tough looking guys who do not like photographers or tourists. I was once threatened by a guy with a machete. Not using a lens hood enables you to easily keep your camera out-of-sight in your case and only bring it out when you are ready to shoot.

skieur

Last edited:
Is the lens hood for the 55-250 compatible with any other lens?

Probably not. Hoods are usually designed for a specific focal length.
Sometimes the same hood is used for multiple lenses though... The 85mm 1.8 & 135mm 2.8 use the same hood, for example.

I have to wonder how useful a hood would be on a 55-250 lens anyway...that's a pretty big range.

^^^ What lens would you say a lens hood would be useful for?

^^^ What lens would you say a lens hood would be useful for?

Well, any lens - I'm just saying that as large of a range that the 55-250 has, compromises had to have been made in the hood. Most likely, it isn't really doing anything at the wide end.

EDIT

Oops!

I had that backwards! It probably works fine at the wide end, but doesn't do anything at the long end.

If you put a hood made for a 200mm lens on a 50mm lens, you would be able to see it in the corners of the picture.

Last edited:
if you guys do use a lens hood, do you use the tube shaped or the petal shaped ones? And is there a notable difference between the two types?

And agreed on the point about drawing attention to your camera with lens hood - it's one of those things that's associated with "fancy professional photographer" XD

Depends on which type of lens it is.

Petal shaped for non-rotating front ends and standard shaped for rotating front ends.

Petals tend to be more suitable for wide angle lenses I think.

Some hoods, like the one for my canon 24-70 L, are well designed in that when zooming, the hood remains stationary but the lens element inside moves forward and backward, essentially making the right sized hood for all focal lengths.

If I have a hood I usually leave it on. It is supposed to give more contrast in your images (flare dependant, I guess) but it's also cheap protection for the front of the lens in case I drop it. Plus it looks badass :D

Sometimes.

On my 50mm, no way. On my Sigma...when outdoors and the sun is out. It definitely helps to eliminate flare.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back