Do you still use other photographers?

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My family went to a studio today to have our pic made for the church directory. I had no intention of buying any prints since I have been pretty heavy into taking our own pictures. Still, over the past couple of years, we haven't taken that many of our own family pics and including yourself in those pics doesn't always work out as well as you'd like. Also, I have a ton of images still to edit and print of my daughter/family from the past couple of months (which is my main problem). Anyway, I decided to buy an 11x14 montage on canvas of what the Olan Mills guy did today. After I got home I started kicking myself in the butt thinking it was a waste of money. It's only like $110 and I know that the same thing would cost me about $70 through mpix if I did it myself, but I did it anyway. The images were decent. Not great, not awful, and I certainly could've done just as good myself.

So, that brings this question to mind. Since you've been doing this as a hobby, profession, etc. how often or when was the last time you paid someone else to take pics of you/your family, and if you have, what was the occasion. This is the first time in probably 6 years we've done so.

Well really since you are a photographer how many acceptable pictures have you had taken of you. I am always the designated family photographer so it might be nice (if I like the images of course) to have someone else take my pictures and "leave the driving" to someone else.

I think that is why I conceded to buying one really. There are very few family pics that I am actually in. I did make it a point to include myself when I took some pics in the family shots of my in-laws 50th anniversary. Sometimes it is nice though to just come in and have someone else do it. My wife keeps harping that I have shots of my daughter from months ago that I still haven't edited. There is always something else that takes priority unfortunately rather than editing and finishing your own work sometimes.

I still buy photos. When my husband and I went on a Cruise I bought the photos of us that they take on the ship. Then we went to Disney and they take your photos on some of the rides. Of course I bought those too. To be honest they weren't that good but what I did like about them is the memory they hold.

My tribe gets together about 3 times a year. Photos are the last thing we do. I quietly leave that up to my sister in law. The images are good. Which is fine by us. We are too crazy to have an outsider snap our photo. I think that is a good thing. Plus we do not frequent malls, so we are often left to our own deal.

Love & Bass

I am getting married in January, and seeing that I can't take pictures of myself and the wedding party at my own wedding, we have hired someone who I feel confident in(just got our engagements done) their work. Otherwise, I leave the pictures to myself. I do get in a lot of pictures though because my friends are curious about my 'big camera' and so I set it in Av, set it for the lighting, switch to Auto Focus, and let them have at it. They'll get random OOF pics, but I still get some of me in there.

Some of my best friends and also photographers. They too need images of their family and have no problem with a trade-out, I will do theirs, they will do mine and we just give eachother the images.

Works out great.

Photographers do their best capturing others (people, wildlife, landscape, etc) but themselves. Just like hairdressers, hairstylists, or whatever they called themselves.

We have someone do our annual pics.

Do people actually do that? Neither my wife nor I like being anywhere near the business end of a lens, much less set out to get shots of us done. The last time we were at the sharp end so to speak was at our wedding 7 years ago. Having said that, the best photograph on the day was one I took in the wedding car on the way to the reception after the marriage ceremony - probably because I wasn't in it (the photo, not the car). Should we decide in the future to get some photographs of us done, I would happily pay someone who knew what the were doing, especially with the healing brush and cloning tool.

I quietly left my camera in the trunk and followed my three siblings into the mall to some cheesy portrait place to get a group photo done for our folks' 40th anniversary. Yeah I coulda done it with the tripod/self timer/some sort of background but it's hard enough getting the four of us at the same place at the same time. Ten minutes in the mall sounded a lot easier than a half hour or so of me fidding around with everything till I thought it was 'right'.

Photographers do their best capturing others (people, wildlife, landscape, etc) but themselves. Just like hairdressers, hairstylists, or whatever they called themselves.

Probably one of many reasons why I love photography so much. Part of a scene without neccessarily being involved...solves all of teenagdom's (never mind that i'm almost 21) awkwardness in one fell swoop ;)

Most reactions

Back