Do you still worry about shooting under the rain?

I didn't ever take my D3200 out in the rain because neither it nor my lenses back then were "weather sealed" but I have taken my D7100 and 24-70 out in a light rain for a shoot that I had planned. I'm glad I did because the photo's turned out great. I don't think I would go out in a downpour but lightrain isn't bad.

Had my D80 in light rain with no problems. My D300 has held up just fine with normal rain. I wouldnt just leave it outside for a few hours but walking around for a bit never hurt it

rain wont hurt it, a lake might...
]
You'd be surprised. Sometimes the water doesn't get in, sometimes it does. If it does, the warranty won't cover it. ;) I've been caught out in a few showers and downpours. Most of the time it's ok, but I've had a scare or two where things weren't working (or weren't working right) for a while. For me, I'd prefer to be able to seal the camera from the weather. It's just not worth the risk if it can be avoided.

I remember years ago i went into an electronics store, and saw a display on the counter showing digital watches that were supposedly water proof/resistant and the display showed them underwater, but if you looked at the display from the side the watches were not even in the water but in a dry compartment behind the water.

John.

]
You'd be surprised. Sometimes the water doesn't get in, sometimes it does. If it does, the warranty won't cover it. ;) I've been caught out in a few showers and downpours. Most of the time it's ok, but I've had a scare or two where things weren't working (or weren't working right) for a while. For me, I'd prefer to be able to seal the camera from the weather. It's just not worth the risk if it can be avoided.
what camera do you have?
cameras like the 5DMark3 are much better sealed then the T2i, for example.
in the video it seems like the silicone works well..

]
what camera do you have?
cameras like the 5DMark3 are much better sealed then the T2i, for example.
in the video it seems like the silicone works well..
5DII. Just this past July I got caught out in a downpour with the 5DII/24-70L/580exII hanging from my shoulder. Even though I wasn't out in it long and the camera was partially covered I still had issues with my flash not working for a while (till it dried out) and my shutter button not working right for the rest of the day. Beyond that bear in mind that Canon claims their cameras to be "weather sealed" not "water proof". The question you have to ask yourself is "is it worth it?". I certainly would not approach shooting in the rain with a cavalier attitude. To me weather sealing an insurance of sorts, not a feature to be regularly exercised. ;)

I don't worry but I try to be cautious if I starts to rain heavy. As a matter of fact I'm out taking pictures of a Snowy Owl right now and it started to rain heavy so I am waiting out the rain in my truck.

With that D3s you could go out on the beach side and shoot from the waves lol

Living on the Texas Gulf Coast, always be prepared for rain. I carry a 'golf' umbrella in the car. Always, and there are two just in case. If I am hiking, I have my camera pack. The umbrella is strapped on with the tripod. In the pack are heavy duty plastic bags, one which could contain the whole pack. Don't be afraid, just be ready.

Phil

I use a rain coat for anything more than a light rain.

If I KNOW I'm going to get wet, I take my waterproof P&S the D10. It's been in waves, through waves, underwater (down to about 10 ft.), dropped on ice and into snow (when skiing), and generally taking the same amount of abuse I'm getting from the elements. I got it when it first came out, and it's still working fine. Doesn't do RAW, doesn't have much of a zoom or good low-level capabilities, but it takes pictures during times where I wouldn't normally expose any electronic gear, including my smartphone.

Was out shooting with 7dmii in the rain Tuesday. I was comfortable with rain getting on the camera, but not so much with the Tamron lens 150-600. I put the raincoat on.

If it's raining I don't go out. I also make sure to have some large plastic bags with me in case it starts to rain while I am out. I just got a pack of cheap rain covers in the mail yesterday and dumped them in my bag so I'll test that out next time I am stuck in the rain. As for the water resistance/weather sealing on cameras and lenses I personally see that as being something more to protect against an accident such as you place it on a table and a glass gets knocked over.

I've had my Canon 7D out in a downpour before. It's fine. Wasn't intentional, but I'm not afraid of light rain now. I also used it to take bath pictures of my kid when he was smaller and that wasn't creepy.

Do you still worry about shooting under the rain?
Is this the same sort of question as "have you stopped beating your wife?"
Personally I don't worry about it now nor have I ever worried about it. I simply don't do it.
Some of my cameras are weather-sealed some aren't, the same applies to my lenses but in the case of lenses I have no idea which are and which aren't weather-sealed so if it's raining I either stay inside by the fire or put raincoats on both myself and my camera before going outside.
In any case weather-sealed does not equal water-proofed!

Most reactions

Back