Do you take your camera everywhere?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Dubie, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I guess the title says it all.

But I guess it also depends what kind of photography you do to.

2. lifeafter2am

lifeafter2am TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I keep my point and shoot with me all the time, but not my D-SLR. I just don't like the idea of having it sit in my truck, in the Florida heat, for most of the day if I am not using it. Now, when I can afford a waterproof housing, that may be a different story! :mrgreen:

3. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wow....A self answered question. Doesn't leave much room for discussion.

4. sothoth

sothoth TPF Noob!

One of my photo instructors always said you need to take it everywhere with you, you need to eat, sleep, and make love with it.

Personally, making love with/to my camera sounds rather painful and unappealing. Maybe that's just me.

I think the guy who owned the newspaper company where Clark Kent worked (Superman and Lois Lane's boss) said something similar in the original Superman movie. I think if you're a photojournalist it's probably important to actually have it with you always.

When I'm on vaction I have it with me everywhere. Most of my shooting is for landscapes, but for that I plan landscape shots ahead of time, so I only have the camera when I'm off to my landscape of choice.

5. carusoswi

carusoswi TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What about the question doesn't leave much room for discussion? I think there is plenty of room for discussion.

The problem with taking your camera everywhere is that, to do so, you usually have to choose between the convenience of a small, very limited unit (I'm thinking as basic as a cell phone camera or one of the new wafer thin point and shoot cams) or lugging around what may be a heavy, but most certainly will be a relatively bulky slr of some sort.

To have really versatile shooting capability with you at all times is, I think, difficult for most of us. There are many times when my point and shoot (and certainly my cell phone) are simply not up to the job, and, so, I skip photo opportunities because I know I will not be happy with the result.

OTOH, the cell phone that I carry actually has a camera built in that is capable of shooting the sort of pictures I need during the course of my work day, so that I can use those photos and forgo having to carry my more bulky equipment.

Additionally, while I am a product of the film era, having a digital camera (even a cell phone model) with which you can check the results often is a better option than a more capable film camera.

If I am shooting to gather onsite evidence, it is more important to do so confidently than to take a chance on shooting film only to review the shots after the fact and discover that I do not have what I need.

It is absolutely wonderful to be able to whip out my cell phone that is with me 24/7 and grab shots that function for their purpose. These aren't works of art, but, as mentioned before, they serve their purpose and then are destroyed.

I often find myself in situations where I yearn for my full kit. Unfortunately, there is just no way I can carry my stuff with me all the time.

I am an avid cycler (bicycle), and my riding takes me through unbelievably beautiful outdoor scenes, most of which, I cannot capture because all I carry is my cell phone camera. My 35 mm stuff is too heavy, and I am not at all in love with the current crop of point and shoot digitals.

I apologize for being a little long here, but, the above represents my take on carrying/not carrying a camera.

Caruso

6. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Caruso...thanks for that answer.

When I'm driving down the road , I see lots and lots of stuff I would love to stop and shoot. I guess making a trip for just that is not so bad.

I'm one of those people that run a business from home so I am ball and chained every minute of my day to my office except weekends. A run to the grocery store is a reason to grab the camera. And I guess most of the time that I do leave the house, it is to take pictures.

7. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I definitely don't take mine everywhere. I plan ahead of time to go out and shoot, and I will take my camera and go for a drive. And even further if I'm going for a walk or a hike I will take just what I need to accomplish my goals.

However, I am always looking for things to shoot and places that might be of interest. There is a good chance that someday I might have the opportunity to come back.

8. three_eyed_otter

three_eyed_otter TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't take mine everywhere but really wish I would. There are so many cool shots that I have to pass on. I've never really just taken drives for the sake of shootin': perhaps I'll give that a go.

have a good one
    3Eo

9. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I almost always take a camera with me when I leave the house. Many times I have no intention of taking any photos, but you never know what might pop up. Worse than lugging a camera around without using it would be to see something that I wanted to photograph, and not have a camera.

10. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    And that's exactly what happen to me. I seen something that was great and the next time I went by, it was gone.

11. deanimator

deanimator TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. InTheViewFinder

InTheViewFinder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree! I take my camera pretty much everywhere I go. It would suck if you wanted to take a photograph of something, but you didn't have your camera.