Do you think that.....?

ChickenFriedRyce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just a random thought but it had to do with photography so I decided to share.

Do you think Apple might/should start doing Digital Cameras? That'd be very awkward but with Aperture, I think they might actually do a good job. They could have massive internal memory (especially if they made dSLR's), touch-screen LCD's, iPod interface, sleek/colorful veneers. I know a lot of you will say it'd be a horrible idea but I think otherwise. Imagine........ an iSLRPHONE. :lmao:

Or they could have a cool iSLR with a really cool classic white finish like on the iPod Classics. Or built in iPod!! hahaha

Or Microsoft might do some super odd camera line with video gaming capabilities... hahahaha.

I know... they're electronics companies.

Sounds gimmicky. When I buy a professional (or close to pro) camera, I just want a machine that takes great photos. I don't want to check email from it, I don't want to surf the web, I don't want to listen to music from it.

I just want the design and engineering to be focused on the ability to take great photos so that aspect is not sacrificed.

Well Sony did why shouldn't everyone jump on?

It would be bright white, square, have 1 button on it (shutter) and a touch wheel which buries all options in some weird menu, no choice of lenses, there would be 3 models which all do the same thing and have the same features but would be different sizes, everything useful would have to be bought from 3rd party vendors, and it complain bitterly if you tried to download your photos in any program other than Aperture, speaking of which you can forget RAW support from other manufactures.

Thanks but no thanks.

Sounds gimmicky. When I buy a professional (or close to pro) camera, I just want a machine that takes great photos. I don't want to check email from it, I don't want to surf the web, I don't want to listen to music from it.

I just want the design and engineering to be focused on the ability to take great photos so that aspect is not sacrificed.
Sure it sounds gimmicky, but so are most of the cell phones and i-stuff. I have a cell phone and the only thing I can do with it is... <gasp>... talk on it. Everyone else has to have mp3 capabilities, camera, email, web surfing, etc on their cell phones. They do more of the other stuff with their cell phones than they actually talk on them.

Gimmicky things sell in this world. If Apple was to produce a camera that had built in i-tunes, web surfing on the back LCD display, phone capabilities, I'd bet it would sell like crazy merely because it was the latest and greatest fad more than because of anything quality related.

Cell phones were for the business men travelling for work back in the beginnings. Now, everyone has to have a cell phone. Why? What is so important that you need to have a cell phone (mine is a cheap pre-paid for emergencies that sits in my glovebox). If Apple was to produce a product such as mentioned here, eventually everyone would need to have one because everyone needs to keep up with the Jones.

No I don't think so, Apple are always trying to be the front runner in innovation, but they seem to be getting it wrong more and more frequently. Take the iPhone for example, which boasts a large selection of features but is a dog to use.

I'd rather have a dedicated digital camera from someone who knows what they are doing, than some slinky thing made by a company that tries to dabble in everything.

No I don't think so, Apple are always trying to be the front runner in innovation, but they seem to be getting it wrong more and more frequently. Take the iPhone for example, which boasts a large selection of features but is a dog to use.

I'd rather have a dedicated digital camera from someone who knows what they are doing, than some slinky thing made by a company that tries to dabble in everything.

Don't be too surprised as I said in my other post if Somy makes a Dslr and people treat it as something viable why not Apple.

Don't be too surprised as I said in my other post if Somy makes a Dslr and people treat it as something viable why not Apple.

You raise a good point, but if I remember correctly Sony had to buy out Konica Minolta to manufacture a DSLR. So really they used the know how of an established firm to create something that previously they hadn't tried to do.

Would Apple do that? I'm not so sure, they are far too brand conscious to join with someone who has a longer history in the DSLR market in my opinion.

You raise a good point, but if I remember correctly Sony had to buy out Konica Minolta to manufacture a DSLR. So really they used the know how of an established firm to create something that previously they hadn't tried to do.

Would Apple do that? I'm not so sure, they are far too brand conscious to join with someone who has a longer history in the DSLR market in my opinion.

It's still kind of silly for people to take them seriously.

I don't think Apple will be venturing into digital cameras for a long time, and certainly not dSLRs. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come out with a real nice looking (and really overpriced) P&S, but I don't think the dSLR market is really their thing.

Most reactions

Back