Do you think this would be helpful???

Sirashley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I've kicked around the idea of starting a site for newbies. Essentially, the site would consist of videos that would guide people through the basics of DSLR functions and also guide them through editing with GIMP. The reason I chose GIMP is because its free and anyone can download it. Plus, I don't own photoshop, and I like the idea that anyone can get the software and learn it if they want... So having said that, do you think you could benefit from it? I'll probably focus more on editing, using a desktop video capture to illustrate every step of the editing process, while narrating it via mic. Well, I'm posting this just because I wanted to hear from some noobs, and see if they would actually be interested... Thanks in advance...

I think its a great idea.. though I don't think I really need the help with editing, I will more so be needing help with using the camera and its functions.. but thats me. I use Photoshop CS2 and I'm self taught and happen to think I edit pretty darn well all things considered. Based on the posts I've seen on here since I started (and in another photography forum I signed up on) this editing business sure seems to bring up a lot of questions. Its tough to find an abundance of tutorials.. usually you have to kinda pick and choose from here and there to find stuff so its discouraging for beginners.

All in all, great idea in my opinion - but a LOT of work.

I would be on of the first noobs there!! I am having a jard time with GIMP. :(

Seeing as I am a new guy here, any and all the help I can get will be appreciated. I am pretty sure this is going to be a large task, so it would probably helpful for you to know others are interested.
Count me in.

I would be interested in this as well. :)

There are tutorials on Youtube.com for Gimp, and other than that, this site covers it. You could make your own tutorial on youtube

Okay, I've kicked around the idea of starting a site for newbies. Essentially, the site would consist of videos that would guide people through the basics of DSLR functions and also guide them through editing with GIMP. The reason I chose GIMP is because its free and anyone can download it. Plus, I don't own photoshop, and I like the idea that anyone can get the software and learn it if they want... So having said that, do you think you could benefit from it? I'll probably focus more on editing, using a desktop video capture to illustrate every step of the editing process, while narrating it via mic. Well, I'm posting this just because I wanted to hear from some noobs, and see if they would actually be interested... Thanks in advance...
You bet! Go for it.

Teaching always teaches the teacher new things to.

Wow guys, I'm really stoked by the responses... I'm off from work the next couple of days, so I'm going to work on getting the site going. I'm alittle rusty on my html so the site may be alittle plain, but the goal is to get information out. So be that as it may, I grabbed the domain name www.slr411.com ... With the hosting I have, I can host my own videos, rather than put them on youtube. I think I'm going to do it blog style, where each week I will tackle something new. Then post exactly how I did it. Anyway, I just wanted to say that I'm really stoked with the feedback so far, and thanks for all the replies...

Essentially, the site would consist of videos that would guide people through the basics of DSLR functions and also guide them through editing with GIMP
It isn't a bad idea, however, (1) something similar, at least in threads have been started already by few members here. (2) as gracious as it is, youtube has hundreds of videos (3) there will come time when you'll get sick of it only of lack of appreciation & not ego - unfortunately (in a different field) I have a first hand experience in that.
But IF you do get bored and do this, please, send a link :D

I think it's an awesome idea and very considerate. Not only that but like another poster said you would be teaching yourself in the process. GIMP is a program that I'm not familiar with at all but I'm willing to expand from PS and learn another way and would definitely find a site like yours helpful.

I, too, would love to follow your thread. I try to soak in as much information as I can. I'm more interested in learning the camera/shooting techniques rather than the PP right now. Thanks for the offer to help.

I think its a great idea.. though I don't think I really need the help with editing, I will more so be needing help with using the camera and its functions.. but thats me. I use Photoshop CS2 and I'm self taught and happen to think I edit pretty darn well all things considered. Based on the posts I've seen on here since I started (and in another photography forum I signed up on) this editing business sure seems to bring up a lot of questions. Its tough to find an abundance of tutorials.. usually you have to kinda pick and choose from here and there to find stuff so its discouraging for beginners.

All in all, great idea in my opinion - but a LOT of work.

Congrats on the non NOOB status, moving on up!

Okay, I grabbed the domain name www.Slr411.com

Don't laugh...LOL... but it is extremely primitive... :) but... its a start. I don't have any videos up yet, or anything education, but its something I'm going to build on. I have a photo due for a contest on Sunday night, and I'm going to video everything from the set up, to the lighting, to the shot, to the post-production and final finished product. I won't be able to post it until the contest is over, which will be on Monday, Feb. 21. So that gives me a week to work on the video... This should be fun and I will keep everyone posted....

Most reactions

New Topics

Back