Do you trust the "Cloud?"

Anyone got a link to all the dirty videos

My understanding is that Kate Upton and Jennifer Lawrence have done the smart thing and followed photographic and copyright law. Their lawyers are contacting any place/individual/site they have with the photos and basically saying "our client never signed a model release. Do you have a copy of a release? You don't? Well gee, we're going to sue your butt off regardless of how you got them b/c you have no authority to display them or possess them since you weren't the photographer." And evidently the alleged photos of McKayla Maroney may involve an underage female so that makes display and/or possession of them even more problematic.

So much smarter then people denying they aren't in the photos or just issuing a statement try to shame someone who is impervious to it.

If they want naked pictures of me....so be it!

Is your house secure enought to protect you from a group of professional robbers or thieves?

Well the moat does a pretty good job since I upped the gator count. I could probably use a couple of extra sentry guns now that I think about it. I think I'm good on anti-personnel mines and of course the ma deuce on the roof with the sandbag emplacement has a 360 field of view and plenty of ammo.

If they want naked pictures of me....so be it!

If be more excited to see yours than some celeb I've never heard of!

Is your house secure enought to protect you from a group of professional robbers or thieves?

Well the moat does a pretty good job since I upped the gator count. I could probably use a couple of extra sentry guns now that I think about it. I think I'm good on anti-personnel mines and of course the ma deuce on the roof with the sandbag emplacement has a 360 field of view and plenty of ammo.

That's not going to help you much if the weapon of choice used is chemical, bacteriological, radiological, or poltergeistical. Plus, if you set up so many defences, then "they" will be sure that there's something of value hidden away, and that will make "them" VERY determined. And if after all that, they don't find anything that was worth the effort, then they may thoroughly trash the place. We practice the "pre-trash" strategy so that anyone thinking about it will automatically conclude that anything of value has already been taken.

That's not going to help you much if the weapon of choice used is chemical, bacteriological, radiological, or poltergeistical. Plus, if you set up so many defences, then "they" will be sure that there's something of value hidden away, and that will make "them" VERY determined. And if after all that, they don't find anything that was worth the effort, then they may thoroughly trash the place. We practice the "pre-trash" strategy so that anyone thinking about it will automatically conclude that anything of value has already been taken.

Well the house is nothing but a decoy of course. Not worried about chemical, biological or radioactive attack, all those angles are well covered. But I might have to look into that poltergeistical angle. I figured I'd be safe enough from annoying spirits just by not giving the ex-wife the new address.. lol.

I would... even though I don't use one currently.

You can have toughest safe in the world but if your combination is "1234" then that tough safe is really just for looks.

Cloud services are an example of technology getting ahead of things to keep us from doing bad things to ourselves with that technology... not to mention legislation to ensure proper handling of it (Europe is better at this than the US).

Cloud services are a driven reality, and it's all about cost. Code42 sells an UNLIMITED backup service in the cloud for $59 a YEAR. No matter how much I'm afraid that someone might get to my data at some point, that's a RIDICULOUSLY compelling offering. For $50 per person per month you can host an Exchange server for your company and not have to manage a stupid Exchange server. Every day we see more and more things like this. Amazon, force.com, there are so many offerings that provide SO much value, and in many cases at a significant reduction in your support costs (if done properly, of course)

So, trust them or no, it's inevitable. Unless something CATASTROPHIC happens that forces the government's hand to stop it or something... but you see some pretty big cases of major loss/hacks/etc, and nothing has really changed.

It's freakish to watch.

.......Unless something CATASTROPHIC happens that forces the government's hand to stop it or something... but you see some pretty big cases of major loss/hacks/etc, and nothing has really changed.........

I think mainly because, the terms of service of those sites, (you know, the 3-page long ones that none of us read) absolves them of any liability. For all of its faults, the EU is correct on this one.

Keep in mind that without the public cloud, companies and products like Uber, Flipboard, AirBnB, FourSquare, Yelp, SmugMug, Apple iCloud, Pinterest, Shazam, IMDB, and thousands of others wouldn't even exist. These companies either don't want, or can't afford, to run their own global datacenters. Their products only exist because the cloud exists. Netflix runs on the cloud (Amazon AWS). I have a small customer (about 300 employees) that just built out an entire failover datacenter in the cloud (Microsoft Azure). They got a quote for $750,000 from a traditional business continuity provider to build a hosted failover datacenter, which they couldn't even come close to being able to afford, so my customer instead built the entire thing on Microsoft's cloud for an estimated $40,000 - $50,000 per year. The cloud is enabling businesses to have access to massive scale compute and business intelligence systems to help them run their own businesses better, that they would have never in a million years had the financial and personnel capital to build and maintain themselves.

Adobe's cloud runs on top of Amazon's cloud (AWS). Seems strange when you really think about it, but Adobe CC wouldn't exist unless the public cloud already existed. Adobe wants to sell software, they don't want to build a global cloud infrastructure. So they were able to use someone else's cloud as a vehicle to sell their software. NBC used the cloud (Microsoft Azure) to stream all the real-time and on-demand HD streams of the Sochi Olympics. Everytime you used an app on your smartphone, tablet, PC, or laptop to check the schedules, medal count, or watch an event, you were using Microsoft's cloud. It was the largest media streaming system ever built and guess what...it mostly doesn't even exist anymore. Thanks to the cloud they built it all then when the Olympics were over simply turned it all off and walked away. That simply isn't possible without the cloud.

It's not all about the economies of scale driven costs that Manaheim is alluding to either. The cloud creates an equal playing field. 5 person startups now have access to the same compute capacity that a Proctor & Gamble or General Electric do. A good friend of mine is right now launching a startup that performs massive data mining against the buy/sell ratings of stock analysts to predict which analysts will be right and wrong under which scenarios. His startup is 2 people and he's secured a ton of venture capital. His startup only exists because the cloud exists - the IP that he's building runs on Microsoft Azure and leverages its big data and machine learning services. Technology can be a competitive advantage and now, thanks to the cloud, small startups can have access to the same - or better - technology than global enterprises.

A sizeable chunk of the apps on your smartphone only exist because of the cloud. Independent developers are able to build apps that do really cool things thanks to really cheap compute capacity offered by public cloud providers. Get rid of the cloud, and your smartphone becomes a lot less smart.

Threads like this are silly because every single person on this thread that said they don't trust the cloud is already consuming and relying on the cloud in far more ways than they realize. The cloud is embedded into everything and you're all using it and trusting it every single day.

Most reactions

Back