Do you use a tripod with your digital?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by zedin, Nov 5, 2005.

1. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am wondering for those digital SLR folks out there if they still find themselves using their tripod a lot. Reason I ask is I tend to take photos when I go backpacking and needless to say my current tripod and camera add a good 12lbs or so to my load. I was looking into getting a carbon fiber tripod for backpacking. But I notice a lot of times when I am taking pictures I see d-slr users just up their ISO if need be and shoot handheld. So I am debating if I should just use the money for the new tripod towards the d-slr and just plan on hand-holding most of my shots when I go backpacking (and thus getting a d-slr sooner).

So mainly I wanted to know how often do you still use your tripod? Am I better off going ahead and getting a newer/lighter tripod or holding off since that puts me a good deal closer to a digital slr.

2. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

i use my tripod for night shots only, if its during the day iso 800 and 1600 get me by :thumbup:

3. TheCanonMan

TheCanonMan TPF Noob!

I use a tripod for digital or non sigital cameras any thing under 1/60 of a sec any thing over can be had shot

4. TheCanonMan

TheCanonMan TPF Noob!

and rember the higher the ISO/ASA the more grain/noise you get

5. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use my tripod heaps... but that's only coz I want to use ISO 100, and they're in low light. I could easily get by on 800 or 1600 but I just don't like the sound of that... :-( I have fear of big ISO numbers... eventhough I shouldn't.

I wouldn't take a tripod on holidays... mainly coz I've never ever taken one coz they're too big, cumbersome and I like to enjoy my holiday rather than worry about where I'm gonna store the tripod for the day.

6. icondigital

icondigital TPF Noob!

i use a tripod all most all the time for the above reason. no matter how good the camera - up the iso - up the noise. i would purchase the tripod. gitzo/bogen makes some really light ones that would be good for backpacking. :)

7. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use a tripod 99% of the time, and shoot ISO 100 as often as I can. I want clean, crisp, noise free images that are sharp.

8. will turner

will turner TPF Noob!

i try to never go above 100iso, 200MAX. i hand hold all my rollerblading shots, and anything above 125 shutterspeed but anything below that ill use a tripod.
    my advice is to just man up and take your tripod, there not that heavy.

9. jstuedle

jstuedle No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use my tripod a lot, anytime I have slower exposure times, or longer lenses. For packing, look at a carbon mono-pod. I keep my mono next to the driver seat of my car. Even though my tripod is in the trunk, there are times the mono is more practical. I often will wedge the mono between the seat and drivers door and wait out a heron or eagle with a 400 and 1.4X converter on my DSLR. Don't underestimate the benefit of a mono-pod.

10. RickyN29

RickyN29 TPF Noob!

I was aways weary of higher ISO especially since most of my cameras at 400 or more would produce unusable images due to grain. However, with my recently purchased Canon 350D, I shoot at 1600 all the time. I did some comparison tests at 100 and 1600, and at 150% zoom, the noise is hardly noticable. Color saturation also held true.

Oh, and this is with the built in noise reduction turned OFF!

But yeah, when traveling, I take along a really lightweight tripod I picked up at a WalMart. The build is decent, bubble levels, fully adjustable. Folds real small, and if it is windy and i need extra weight for stability, there is a hook on the underside, you just hang anything and it it weights it down nicely.

11. nikon90s

nikon90s TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    you are still talking about time and light right?

12. DocFrankenstein

DocFrankenstein Clinically Insane?

I use my tripod as often as I humanely can. It adds a lot to the sharpness and composition.