snerd

Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Or strictly the main, gray one? What ways are the separate color one better?

I use colour ones, purely because it's possible to clip one channel and not have it show up on the histogram if you use the combined one (which is mostly green weighted if I remember correctly). With the RGB histogram you can check if any of the channels are blown out individually and adjust.

I never thought about looking at my histogram. I just shove it into post, let it bake for a few minutes and serve. :onthego:

I use the color ones to zoom in and check the histogram on my models face and such [emoji106][emoji106]

What weepete said. If you have strong colors, especially in the red-yellow range, and you see that the R or R/G histograms are more than a little bit off the scale on the right, you may need to decrease saturation to avoid having solid blocks of color with no variation.

The histograms, color and RGB composite, that show up on the camera only apply to the camera generated JPEG. They are not directly representative of the raw capture. If you're saving camera JPEGs and they matter to you then those histograms are useful indicators of data clipping. If you're saving only raw files they are less accurate and need to be evaluated accordingly. In other words the camera software will clip data in a JPEG and the histograms will indicate that even when data in the raw file is not clipped.

Joe

Not really.

I use 'em in camera and in Lightroom. I only get color, no main gray here (unless you count hair color).

I shoot in raw only, and use only the grey histogram.
Although, when I'm previewing my images I spend the majority of the time using my eyes to review the image and not so much the histogram.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back