Do you visit the websites making fun of "professionals"

This was a great blog when it was current. It taught me a lot. I had a number of people here on TPF privately accuse me of writing this site, but I totes didn't. Giggles and Cutie Pumpkins Photography

Read your post, and read some of that blog. Okay, I totally don't get the "totes" thing. Can you spell it out for the old hick in Podunk, OK?!

You know. I am not a protog. And I do enjoy "you are not a photographer".

"You are not a graphic designer" just kind of pisses me off.

This was a great blog when it was current. It taught me a lot. I had a number of people here on TPF privately accuse me of writing this site, but I totes didn't. Giggles and Cutie Pumpkins Photography

Read your post, and read some of that blog. Okay, I totally don't get the "totes" thing. Can you spell it out for the old hick in Podunk, OK?!
Totes = Totally

The sites making fun of bad pictures, they're good for a quick laugh, but that's about it. I see them when someone posts a link to them, but it's not something I go out of my way to look at. It doesn't offend me either though. I'm indifferent to it, I guess. Sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's not.

C'mon Snerd get into the 21st century. It's totes adorbs! And don't ask me how I know that.

It doesn't sound like a group of actual pro photographers if people are posting others' work, and making fun of it. At least that's not professional in my experience.

youarenotaphotographer.com is one of my favorite sites :lol:

I won't take part in Facebook groups that post specific images and comment on them, if the OP isn't the one who took the image, but I will most certainly visit YANAP, hahaha.

Ditto

Making fun of people less able than yourself is a sure sign of lack of confidence. The person making fun might not be themselves terrible, but they are without question unsure of themselves. Usually for a good reason. This applies to photographers, dancers, carpenters, and everyone else besides.

It's basically the same process as bullying. As such it's fun for a little while, of course. If you're still having fun months later, best you check yourself.

Eh. The checks my clients write me keep me pretty damn confident. :lol:

It's not any different than a comedian making fun of something. I enjoy comedians as well. I enjoy the hilarity of an image of a poorly photoshopped dude in a coke can floating in the sky.

But if you want to call it lack of confidence, and getting paid is what lack of confidence results in... then I'll take it! :lol:

I won't take part in Facebook groups that post specific images and comment on them, if the OP isn't the one who took the image, but I will most certainly visit YANAP, hahaha.

Ditto
Seems to be pretty much the same thing to me... Why is it OK on one site but not the other?

My twisted conscience tells me that it's okay to make fun of a CONCEPT (like the blog Derrel posted- hilarious) but for some reason, poking at specific people or specific images rubs me the wrong way. :shrug:

Ditto
Seems to be pretty much the same thing to me... Why is it OK on one site but not the other?
Because one is watching American Idol on the days that they air the terrible, hilarious singers... and the other is seeking out individuals to be malicious towards.

There happens to be a collection of photos on the interwebs that are akin to the terrible American Idol wanna-bes. So I view it and get a chuckle. I don't then do a reverse image search, find that photographers site, and send them a scathing e-mail about how terrible they are.

I have been in photography groups on Facebook where someone would post a photo in a group and people would be malicious towards it, just to be malicious, when that person is trying to grow from it. That I don't vibe with. I'm cool with giving critique, but telling someone to sell their gear when they're posting for C&C is what isn't cool.

Unless that person thinks they're God's gift to photography, but they produce work that deserves to be on YANAP, and refuse to grow at all... then maybe they just need a reality check. :lol:

I actually used to half expect my images to show up on YANAP or "You are not a model" when I first started. If that would have happened, I would have laughed. But I also knew back then that I wasn't fabulous.

I guess someone who thinks they're amazing, but isn't may be upset by it. Who knows. :lol:

Either way... I refer back to Bitter's Avenue Q song.

Sh*t's funny. People laugh. It's human nature. :lmao:

Last edited:
My twisted conscience tells me that it's okay to make fun of a CONCEPT (like the blog Derrel posted- hilarious) but for some reason, poking at specific people or specific images rubs me the wrong way. :shrug:

So then don't look at it. More bandwidth for me. :biglaugh:

I can't say that I disagree with e.rose........ when I get good with a camera, I'll probably be as cocky as she is LOL!!

Most reactions

Back