Do you visit the websites making fun of "professionals"

Whodda thought? Another polarizing topic on TPF, centered around whether or not it's ok to laugh at stupid sh*t.

I laugh at all KINDS of sh*t.

Stupid sh*t.

Funny sh*t.

Dumb sh*t.

Dumb SH*TS.

My sh*t.

When my husband gives me sh*t.

When my best friend from home texts me while she takes a sh*t.

I love sh*t.

And I love YANAP.com :biglaugh: :lol: :lmao:

Whodda thought? Another polarizing topic on TPF, centered around whether or not it's ok to laugh at stupid sh*t.

I am quite happy to inform the world that I usually do laugh at stupid stuff! The more the Tom-Foolery, the more the laughing!

I am quite happy to inform the world that I usually do laugh at stupid stuff! The more the Tom-Foolery, the more the laughing!

HEY NOW.

Laughing at STUFF is not okay.

We only laugh at SH*T here!

YOU GOT THAT?! :grumpy:

Do you mean 'sites like "You are not a photographer.com"? If so, I browse through them occasionally, but that's about it. I don't really care much one way or the other to be honest.
are you kidding me? I love that site. It's so rip roaringly funny.
Schadenfreude.

I guess because I wasn't aware that selective coloring and piknik editing was still running rampant.

Me?? Never. No really, never. I'm too nice to people. I really need to work on that. Lol

A lot of photographs are pretty funny, but yanap is a watchdog group tracking down amateur photographers from facebook who are using canon rebel and gimp. I would be very ticked off if they post one of my photographs to yanap.

A lot of photographs are pretty funny, but yanap is a watchdog group tracking down amateur photographers from facebook who are using canon rebel and gimp. I would be very ticked off if they post one of my photographs to yanap.

Please, they are not tracking down people JUST because they're using a Rebel and GIMP.

I started out using a Rebel and GIMP and while I was bad when I started, I can confidently say I was never THAT bad.

They are looking for a particular BRAND of terrible, that those people "featured" on the site would STILL produce, even if they were handed a Canon 1D and a full license of Adobe CC. :biglaugh:

They are looking for people classing themselves as professional whilst producing very substandard products.

It's akin to things like the TV show "Cowboy Builders". The only difference is that bad photography typically doesn't destroy lives nor cost thousands of pounds to fix. It also tends to be a LOT of casual professionals - ergo they've a website, and a facebook and yeah they probably do a few shoots for friends/family but really not much more.

It's a sort of hazy area between full-blown professional and hobbyists just earning a bit of pocket money. The latter has always happened; but in the days of the internet we are presented with it much more so. It's this element that makes it somewhat a hotbutton topic because whilst on the oneside these websites are exposing bad professionals - at the same time most of them are "harmless" if taken on their own.

It's tricky area also because its both art and an unregulated market. So there is no line in the sand saying "you must be this good to be pro". It's purely up to personal standards along with what the market will pay for. And when there are no gatekeepers the market becomes the gatekeeper - so one can argue that if rubbish sells then its ok to sell rubbish.

The nature of the internet also comes into this. IT allows now just for a handful of friends to have a harmless, unseen chuckle at someone; but the whole world. And its not an exaggeration either; the whole world really can see and laugh - or they can stalk - they can find a website, send abuse etc.... It has vast potential to move from mockery to worse with no accountability nor restraint.

Do you mean 'sites like "You are not a photographer.com"? If so, I browse through them occasionally, but that's about it. I don't really care much one way or the other to be honest.

Yes, I just wasn't going to name names. ;-)

YANAP is not a site bashing professional photographers, it's a site bashing GWC's and MWaC's who just bought a Canon Rebel who THINK they're professional.

I laugh at all KINDS of sh*t.

Stupid sh*t.

Funny sh*t.

Dumb sh*t.

Dumb SH*TS.

My sh*t.

When my husband gives me sh*t.

When my best friend from home texts me while she takes a sh*t.

I love sh*t.

And I love YANAP.com :biglaugh: :lol: :lmao:

That is classic! You specifically left out your husband's ****.

I know he's hot and all, but he can't be perfect. :p

Most reactions

Back