Do you want credit?

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by neea, Apr 8, 2007.

1. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have two close friends who are professional photographers. One works for a newspaper and the other has his own business (specializes in northern lights).

The newspaper guy: He got two pictures of his published in a magazine recently. I searched and searched and can't find his name anywhere.

The business guy: Got some pictures printed and framed. Thousands of them. And then sells them exclusively at a Canadian chain store. His name is not on them.
    About a year ago my mother baught a picture of northern lights (For $10.00 might I add) and I give her s&*^ for it. I said 'I have a friend who's trying to make a living with his pictures and you go buy some mass produced 'artist-unknown' picture.

Turns out... the picture my mother baught is in fact one of his. Very weird.

So my question is: Do you require credit for your work?
    I definatley do!!
    I would rather sell 100 prints to people who are willing to spend money on something that's 'rare' than sell 100 000 000 to people who will throw it out in 5 years when their decor changes.
    Then again I'm doing this because I love it and any money it makes me is just a bonus.

2. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd always want credit.
    If one person likes it enough to buy it, then the next person would too. But if the next person doesn't know where to get it or who i am then they'll have a harder time finding it.

As for rare images or bulk, i realise that the colours in my image may not suit the purchaser's decor forever so i don't think it's unreasonable for them to want to change it after a while.

Once a person buys a print from me, then it's theirs to do with what they please

3. morydd

morydd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'd rather know that 100 000 000 people thought a photo of mine was good enough to spend money on it than worry about if they know my name. Sure, credit is nice, but I take photos because I like taking photos. If I ever sell one, I'll be happy. If I sell 100, I'll be thrilled. If I sell 100 000 000, I'll be retired.

4. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    But of the 100 000 000 printed how much money would you really make?
    Everyone wants their cut of the pie. Of the $10 my mom spent I bet the artist did not get the majority of that.
    I would personally rather give my business (printing, framing etc) to small businesses that take the time to make sure I get what I want.
    Maybe I've lived in a small town for too long:confused:

5. craig

craig TPF Noob!

I Definitely get a byline on my editorial work. Never a byline on my advertising work.

Coincidentally I am working on Teton County Tobacco Free "campaign". It is getting statewide recognition. Kind of wish I had my name on those shots. Trying to muster the courage to ask for a byline. Ironically I am a chain smoker.

Love & Bass

6. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :lmao:
    *waves to fellow smoker*
    That is pretty darn ironic! And very amusing as well.

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Actually slightly worried. The art director knows I am a smoker, but I do not think the client knows. We'll have to see how big this gets.

Love & Bass

8. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I would want credit of only for the simple reason that without my name on it, (a) no one would be able to say, "Hey, that's a great photo, I should go buy one of Stuart's photos, too." And (b), anyone would be able to claim it as their own work without my name on it.

9. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I completley agree.
    I could easily put on my porfolio/resume that it was me that took any given picture. Without a name would anyone really question me?

Or on the other end if they were my pictures and I did put it in my portfolio/resume my future employer or whoever could say 'Well... can you prove it, your names not on it. How do we really know that those are your pictures?'

My target audience for my pictures is mostly people who would want them framed in their living rooms. If they had friends over who said 'Wow. thats a great picture. where do i get one?'
    If my name was on it anyone who knows about googles existance could easily find me.

10. M-O-S

M-O-S TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Who wouldn't want a credit?

11. neea

neea TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Now I got a dilema...
    My friend just asked me today if I'd be willing to sell some of my pictures to get printed and sold in mass quantities.
    This is a huge deal for me.
    I have a tendency to have emotional attachments to alot of my pictures. For those pictures I'd print and frame myself.
    For the others... I would still really want my sig on it.

I may have to go out and take pictures for the purpose of selling them.

My emotions may stop me from making money from my pictures (stupid emotions. they pull this kinda crap all the time).

Maybe I need two groups of photography. A group where I take pictures just for me :) and a group where I take them for other people.

Anyone understand what I'm saying?

12. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure everyone would want name recognition on their work...but sometimes that is contrary to success. For example, if I'm making my living with photography and I can sell a million prints, with no name on it...I'd do it rather than sell less than 100 with my name on it.

I guess it depends what you are selling. Commercial photography doesn't seem to ever have the photographer's name but fine art prints usually do.