KmH

In memoriam
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
kharrodphotography.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had a glass of 2% milk earlier today that was fine, from a gallon jug that has a use by date of July 7 - 15 days ago. I expect the milk remaining in the jug to be good for several more days.

Americans are Shamefully Wasteful With Food

I save and freeze the bits of carrots , celery, and onions I cut off and use them together with chicken bones and chicken carcasses I freeze to make home made, no salt added chicken broth.

I throw away very little food.

I try not to.

I feel that the expiration dates are more for moving food than a true reflection of spoilage.

I compost and/or vermiculture all my veggie wastes. The leftover meat wastes gets mixed in with the pooch's food. I grow 90% of our veggie and fruit. California is in it's fifth year of drought. We shower with buckets and recycle the shower water to the plants. Today, I rototillered half the front yard removing the grass to be replaced with drought tolerant native plants.

With a dehydrator, vac sealer and large freezer, I have exceedingly little food waste.

I'm a cheap-@$$; if the food doesn't get up and walk to the garbage can on its own, then it's still edible.
If you're alert, you can probably bag the sucker while it's making a move for the can ...just don't lead it a lot as it is most likely moving pretty slow. Then recook it as something else.

Tonight I'm making cilantro-lime rice.
The lime flavor will be provided by lime rinds left over from the batch of carne asada I made a few nights back.

The lemon rinds I had left over from the carne asada get used when I make tea.

Im a Chef. That said I'll make a few points;

1. There is a problem in our society with food waste. I appreciate you bringing it up and yes; cool story bro! Drink the milk! There is a difference between best before and expirey dates. Its a scam!

2. Personally I only buy food at extreme discounts and I usually collect points in it, normal discount is 50% off + 20% points.

2.5 Most people are over paying by an extreme margin; then wasting most of it.

2.5 mark ii Plus they cannot cook to save a life but will complain at a restaurant, feeling like they still have some form of control in their lives for a millisecond.

3. I'll be paying for most if my next lens; Canon 70-200 2.8 is ii with points collected from the grocer this summer!

Carry on.

Yes, I have been wasting food into my stomach for 4 years and 100 lbs.

My wife is militant with expiration dates. I try to tell here that our senses of taste and smell are way better than any imaginary date.

You will know very quickly if milk has truly gone bad.

better waste than not enough.

I don't like milk anymore but drank a ton of it when I was young. It makes me fart gloriously.

that's cause it's completely unnatural for you to drinks cow's milk.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back