Does a memory card make a difference

BRIANxJDM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Someone once told me that the memory card makes a different for your pictures, is that true? If so what memory card do you guys recommend.

No. The media does not affect how your pictures look at all. Now, some cards are faster than others and you'll see this noted as the "class" of a card (2, 4, 6, 10). The higher the class, the faster that card can transfer data, which could come into plan when shooting at high fps as the camera buffer backs up, but more so when transferring pictures to the computer. Personally, I always stick with name brand memory and would recommend at least class 4.

Secure Digital - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was at Wal Mart the other day and they had the Scan Disk 4G for like 15 bucks, is that good to get, or should I get the ones with like 133x and what not.

when i bought my nikond3000 9 days ago, they also sold me a 30 dollar ultra 8 gig mem card. I needed a new one, the largest at home I have was 1 gig... so I got it.
I don't think there is a bit of difference, but I am a way newbie, and when I put the 1 gig in my camera I can take 200 something pictures, with the 8 gig I can take over 2000... haha so

Well I am in school right now but as you know that i have a D3000.

I see you have the same camera as I do...
Class 4, I think is what I got, it was sandisk ultra something or another and it is onsale at best buy 8gb for 30 dollars
If you have a sams club membership the same one is 20 dollars.. i wish I saw that before I opened the other one from best buy.

Cool, I can borrow my Aunts card, does Sam's also sell other camera accessory?

how long have you had your camera and where did you get it from?
I'm asking because I bought mine 9 days ago from best buy for 499 dollars, today I went back to get a lens and I was able to upgrade to the package with the 55-200 lens plus a 100 dollar camera bag for 150 dollars more! That made my DAY!

I'm not sure if they have other stuff or not, I just looked at the camera and the card...

Someone once told me that the memory card makes a different for your pictures, is that true? If so what memory card do you guys recommend.

No, your camera will write a series of 1's and 0's to the memory card. A 1 will always be a 1 and a 0 will always be a 0.

The media card that you write it is irrelevant in terms of picture quality

Where the quality of the memory card may come in hand is read/write speed. Higher quality cards can read and write fast alowing you to take continus shots faster, and you can review them faster. Higher quality cards are also typically made of higher quality materials that are less prone to corruption and accidental deletion.

(for the record, this also holds true for video. Picture quality is not influenced by the type of cabling you use... a cheap digital cable is just as good (video quality wise) as an expensive cable).

as of tomorrow it will be 2 weeks. I bought my D3000 from Samys.

I did the test with a Lexar 133x pro class 6 4gig , a kingston class 10 4gig and a cheap class 6 4 gig.

the only difference i noticed it was when shooting burst of 4-5 pictures and over. the cheap one couldnt keep up. all other card were fine because of the writting speed being higher.

there is no difference at all in image quality.

That's the equivalent of a Class 30 in terms of SD Cards (30MB/s, 200x). That's also CompactFlash, which is different than SD (Secure Digital).

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back