Does a polarizer work with reflections off of glass?

Baaaark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know it doesn't work from reflections off of metal due to (insert physics principle here), but I never see anything mentioned about glass. Yet, I get glare off of glass. Then I started thinking, "It wouldn't reduce the glare off of a mirror, so why would it glass? But then I didn't know if it was the glass or the reflecting substance underneath it.

And then I thought I was thinking too much, and decided to ask you guys.

Yes. As long as the reflection is at the right angle, a CPL will reduce reflections from glass.

*sigh* I really need to get CPL's for my lenses...in time, perhaps.

I didnt even remember it was you that posted it! I just remember answering it in that thread :lol:

Mark

I know it doesn't work from reflections off of metal due to (insert physics principle here), but I never see anything mentioned about glass. ...

Polarizers are almost 100% effective in eliminating reflections from smooth glass when your line of site to the glare is a 45 degree angle to the surface of the glass. They are 0% effective when the reflections along a line of sight near 90 degrees to the surface. Shoot straight into a window and a polarizer will not help to eliminated the reflection of the camera and photographer. Shoot at a 45 degree angle and it can eliminate the reflections.

Most reactions

Back