Does a polarizing filter block some UV rays?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by anubis404, Aug 5, 2008.

1. anubis404

anubis404 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Does a polarizing filter block some UV rays? The reason I'm asking is because I have had my camera for about 2 months now and I have not had a UV filter. I ordered one near when I got the camera and It never came. I got scammed on Ebay. I waited about 3 weeks for it to come and it never did. I waited a couple weeks after that, I ordered another. I went on vacation before it arrived, so I'm worried that I'm doing serious damage to my lens. There is nothing visibly wrong with my lens, but I have been keeping a circular polarizer on there at all times, so is this helping? Its a cheap 52mm CPL off of ebay.

My question is, does this block some UV rays? Am I OK for now, or at least until my UV filter comes?

Also, Do I really need a UV filter? I have been told not to put a UV filter on top of a Polarizer, and whenever I'm outside I always have a polarizer on. When I'm not shooting I have my lens cap on. When I'm inside, I don't have to worry about UV rays.

2. Helen B

Helen B TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The polarizing foil inside a polarizing filter usually cuts UV by quite a lot - it's a natural property of the material it is made of.

Best,
    Helen

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You do not need to protect your camera or lens from UV rays. When people say that they use a UV filter for protection, it's for physical protection from knocks, bumps, drops and also any random gunk that may get onto the front of the lens.