does an adpater ring change your picture?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by mxracer32, Dec 1, 2008.

1. mxracer32

mxracer32 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i am looking at a fisheye lense locally, it is very reasonable but it is a nikon mount, i have a canon 20d. (1.6 crop sensor) and this is an 8mm fisheye. i want the fisheye distortion, NOT looking for just a WA lense...my question is with an adapter ring from fleabay for a nikon mount lense to a canon mount body, will that distort my image in any way then if I had a canon mount lense of the same sort?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It depends.

If an adapter changes the distance to the film/sensor that the lens was designed for, then you would probably loose infinity focus. Some adapters fix this by adding a lens element. This does affect the image quality, and it would depend on the quality of the adapter.

Also, you won't be able to use auto focus and may not be able to adjust the aperture etc.

If it not a Nikon lens, it might have an interchangeable mount, so rather than an adapter you could get the actual Canon mount for the lens...but it might just be better to get the lens with the Canon mount and forget about this one.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If it has a piece of glass of course it would distort it somewhat. How bad this distortion is depends on exactly what adapter you buy. Often though the distortion of getting such an adapter is far better than the common use of a teleconverter for instance, so really if the Canon lens is the only option (which I find hard to believe) then there's no reason really not to get an adapter.