PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have the following lens

Sigma 150-600mm OS lens (Canon EF fit) F/5-6.3

Are you happy with the lens?

Do you wish you had purchased a different lens?

What are your feelings regarding 3rd party newer superzoom lens?

All comments are welcome for and against.

Thank you

Last edited:
I have the contemporary version. IMO it's a great value superzoom capable of very good photos. The focus is snappy. It's not weather sealed but you can't have it all.

My opinion of third party lenses is positive lately, especially ones that can be adjusted with a docking system such as this siggy

Oops, mine is Nikon fit, but that shouldn't make a difference to overall quality

Rented the contemporary version for my Nikon. Got along just fine with it.

Ended up eventually buying the Nikon 200-500 but not due to any dissatisfaction with the Sigma.

A nice but really, really big and heavy lens. Suggest you rent one and try it.

Thanks for your comments.

Did you find the slightly higher F-Stop a problem with early morning, dusk or cloudy day shots?

Thanks for your comments.

Did you find the slightly higher F-Stop a problem with early morning, dusk or cloudy day shots?
Sure, it's an issue- but what other option do you have in that price range? I'm not aware of fast super-telephoto glass under $1500 US anywhere.

It gets even worse with a 1.4x teleconverter- you lose another stop.

I had one, bought it new. Couldn't focus right, sent it in 3 times. Even verified on another camera. The Tamron g2 blows it away, built better, and way less chance of getting a bad copy. You should PM @zombiesniper, he shoots Canon and birds in flight. @coastalconn is another good one to PM, I think he shoots with the Tamron g2.

It's hard to beat the Canon 100-400 L. If I was currently looking for a long telephoto that would probably be top of the list right now.

It's hard to beat the Canon 100-400 L. If I was currently looking for a long telephoto that would probably be top of the list right now.
That's a good recommendation.

Do you think the Canon lens and the slightly better F-Stop out weighs the consideration for longer focal distance?

Does anyone have the following lens

Sigma 150-600mm OS lens (Canon EF fit) F/5-6.3

Are you happy with the lens?

Do you wish you had purchased a different lens?

What are your feelings regarding 3rd party newer superzoom lens?

All comments are welcome for and against.

Thank you
I have one, had it nearly a year. I am very pleased with it and do not wish I had bought another lens. The quality of the pictures I am getting has been steadily improving over the year.

Sigma make very many lenses and have done so for a long time. They are experts.

The minimum aperture is not a real problem. There will always be situations where you wish you had a wider aperture available but that would be the case if you had a f/1 lens.

Do you think the Canon lens and the slightly better F-Stop out weighs the consideration for longer focal distance?

No doubt it's sharper, and you can use it with a 1.4x TC which will get you the extra reach if needed. So yes.

No doubt- but at $2.o0o it is more than double the cost of the Sigma contemporary.

Not a reason to pass on it, but surely worthy of mention...

The difference between f5.6 and f6.3 is about a third of a stop. It doesn't make "that much" difference with modern cameras and their autofocus system.

No doubt it's sharper, and you can use it with a 1.4x TC which will get you the extra reach if needed. So yes.

But would not the 1.4x cause reduced light into the camera, therefore taking the F-Stop value to similar to that of the Tamron, but the Tamron has a longer focal distance so does this make the Tamron a better choice? So now it is saying to me, the Tamron can capture images at the longer distance, but would the quality of the Canon 100-400 at 400mm be better than the Tamron 150-600, at 600mm, when cropped? I hope that makes sense.

I think what I am trying to say is, a shot taken with both lens, at max distance, when cropped could the Canon be a better image (without a 1.4x).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back