PJcam

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have the following lens

Tamron SP 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

Are you happy with the lens?

Do you wish you had purchased a different lens?

What are your feelings regarding 3rd party newer superzoom lens?

All comments are welcome for and against.

Thank you

jcdeboever: Thanks for posting that!

I had thought something like a 600mm tele lens was completely out of the question, for me, but a used Tamron, like that, isn't completely out of the question. And those were certainly some impressive shots, and no mistake.

Oh, I see JC beat me to it! lol great minds, you know (or maybe not! lol).

Go to the white search box, top right. When you click you should get a drop down box and under Posted by Member start typing his username - coastalconn. You should see his avatar start to pop up so click on it when you see that.

I hate to semi "non-answer", but these 2 pics were shot handheld with the original version. Both have some cropping.

First one is ISO 200, f 6.3 and shutter speed of 1/160 at 600mm
DSC_2272.jpg

Second is ISO 200, f 6.3 and shutter speed of 1/160 at 500mm
DSC_2283.jpg

These were taking yesterday. Camera is a Nikon D7100. I am sure there is better glass out there, but for ~$1100 I am not sure what can compete with it. I actually use this lens quite a bit, if you check my person pics link in my signature you will see. Many of them are on "Wildland Fire Pics" page on Facebook.

Last edited:
Great shots Nwcid.
I will also view your link.

I have a tripod with standard fitting, a square section that screw fits to camera and slots into tripod, quick release.

Would I require an adaptor for this lens to fit to my tripod?

No it will have 1/4 20 threads just like most tripod mounts. If your tripod head however is the style in link 1 you will run into difficulty shooting wildlife with it. The style in link 2 is what most wildlife photographers use.

I would say just use it without the tripod. You may find (as I did) that you're able to shoot just fine without one or that your shooting style doesn't condone sitting in one place for long periods of time which makes tripod use unnecessary.

Link 1

Link 2

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi zombiesniper

I just purchased the tripod and it is as link 1.

Is it possible to convert it? Are there any adaptors?

I will need to support the camera due to my disability and the lens is 2kg

I hate to semi "non-answer", but these 2 pics were shot handheld with the original version. Both have some cropping.

View attachment 152464

View attachment 152465

These were taking yesterday. Camera is a Nikon D7100. I am sure there is better glass out there, but for ~$1100 I am not sure what can compete with it. I actually use this lens quite a bit, if you check my person pics link in my signature you will see. Many of them are on "Wildland Fire Pics" page on Facebook.

600mm in DX format, 1/160. Hand held. Impressive :)

Thanks zulu42, I have a few ideas but it has to fit my chair.

There are not many places for the brackets. I am at present going to try the camera on the monopod which can rest on the footplate, or the footplate lifted and the monopod rests on the ground. The last would be more positive.

jazzy1103powerchair_sm.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.

600mm in DX format, 1/160. Hand held. Impressive :)

Thank you. I did take a few dozen shots, and only a few were keepers. I only posted the best 2 here.

I was going to try and tripod, but they kept moving between the trees. I was sitting in the driver seat of my car, moving around with them.

Most reactions

Back