Does any one know if...

katanapilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
katanapilot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You can connect a USB cable to a D70 and have it dump photos to a PC or mac as you take them, also where could you get a power supply to DCV in power in to the the cam. Where I am going with this is setting up a studio type so that the cam is always wired and always powered, is this possible?

You can shoot the D70 to tethered to a pc or mac using Nikon Camera Control Pro and Bibble Pro, the only problem you is that the D70, even though it has USB 2.0, it's only full speed, meaning it acts at USB 1.1 speed. I have the D70s, and when I'm shooting RAW, it takes between 6 and 10 seconds to load the image into my laptop, to slow unless you're shooting still life.

The slow USB sounds like a drawback, but how many shots can the buffer hold? maybe it won't be a problem If you shoot a bunch and then give it a minute or two, to download.

As for the DC power supply, Look at your manual, I should list the power requirements. Volts, and current in watts, or milliamp. There is probably a genuine Nikon supply, but if it seems very expensive any power supply of the same rating will work, The voltage must be the same, and the amperage must be the same or higher. The you just need the correct tip for the end of the cord. You can probably find a "universal" DC supply at Radio Shack or other electronics places that have a switch to change the voltage, and come with several different tips. I would use a regulated supply to be on the safe side.

thanks for the tips!!! I was just testing it with light room, and once the cable is plugged in and the cam is on there is no more shooting :( it becomes a hard disk) is this normal?

I will test one of these and let you know what happens.

Ok question 2, using Bibble 4.8.1 and the USB cable connected to the Cam, it goes in to "PC" mode, how do I disable this to dump the photos some where or is this even possible with a D70?

so I did some more digging, If you change the D70 to USB to PTP mode, then on the MAC flip the switch after taking a shot, off then on and Light Room imports them right away. It could be awesome if they show live, then would be much better. All I need now is a power supply, and I am game.

Being a Canon owner I can't help you out with the Nikon-specific stuff, but I just wanted to ask if you actually need to shoot RAW or whether JPEG would give you sufficient quality? That should significantly speed up your download times.

Also, as RyanLilly said, your buffer will allow you to shoot several shots, then while you pause they will all download to your computer. I think it would be rare that you'd be in a situation where you were shooting so intensively that this became a problem.

Pete

Oh and one more thing - does your software allow you to control the camera from your computer? Mine does, and it was quite fun to play with, and might make certain types of shots a bit easier to shoot because you can adjust aperture etc from the computer rather than having to head over to your tripod every time.

Pete

Most reactions

Back