Does anybody collect knives or tools?

For 33+ years I collected knives and other assorted weapons. Mostly out of dead bodies at the crime scene. The good old fashion butcher knife seemed to be the weapon of choice by many. I will say that the occasional sword or two tended to make for a more interesting crime scene.
I couldn't imagine dying at the hands of a knife. I have never viewed knives as weapons either, farthest thought from my mind. Gives me chills thinking about it. I remember hearing that the one using the knife is just as likely to be injured using it
Not if you know how to use a knife. Knives and their big brother the sword have been used as weapons for thousands of years. That Swiss Army knife was developed for and sold to .......... Wait for it................Wait for it......................The Swiss Army in 1908. But one must keep in mind that a weapon is also a tool. Like any tool it can be used wisely or poorly.
What I meant by that was, I have never carried a knife solely for self defense. I have learned how to use bladed tools and also defend against them but would only use one as a LAST resort. Nasty wounds!

I recently dumpster-dove for an almost-complete set of J.A. Henckel's kitchen knives with something that was fascinating to me: large-ish handles on every knife, made out of the same type and color of stainless steel as the blades. I have other chef's, other 6 and 8-inch slicers, and other serrated knives, but the ease of sanitizing and cleaning a knife with a unitized, stainless steel handle was too much to pass up. I got five out of the six knives of the set for free..one was missing...I added them to the collection that goes back to the 1970's. But no, not really much oa a knife nor tool collector per se.
Sweet! That's what I love about my fixed blades with synthetic handles. Hot hot water evaporates with a quick dry and then no issues. That sounds like a nice set. Any chance of finding the missing one and a block for them on ebay?

I got them with the original block!!! I was unsure, but the stainless steel handles are sweeeeeet!

Just found the set here: http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-GB/P...308/13236-000-0--Knife-block-7pc.--27430.html

My block is in gray finish, not plain wood. The sharpening steel is missing, and one knife, but I have lots of other sharpening tools. I could care less what the price is or was...they are great cutters.

Last edited:
What I meant by that was, I have never carried a knife solely for self defense. I have learned how to use bladed tools and also defend against them but would only use one as a LAST resort. Nasty wounds!
40 cal ....

40 cal ....
9mm. Smaller frame so easier to conceal, less recoil, and the new ammo has all the stopping power of the 40 cal. Most police dept's are even transition back to the 9mm after years with the 40.

I got them with the original block!!! I was unsure, but the stainless steel handles are sweeeeeet!

Just found the set here: http://www.j-a-henckels.com/en-GB/P...308/13236-000-0--Knife-block-7pc.--27430.html

My block is in gray finish, not plain wood. The sharpening steel is missing, and one knife, but I have lots of other sharpening tools. I could care less what the price is or was...they are great cutters.
I'm constantly sharpening my grandparents set they use. I either sharpen on a spyderco sharpmaker or if they're really dull I'll free hand on a diamond stone. Enjoy those knives! Post a pic of yours :). Looks like a spot for kitchen shears at the bottom.

If you ever run across an of these in a dumpster call me. I will dive it all day long.
Wüsthof USA

Wusthof are the knives my grandparents have. I don't know much about kitchen cutlery brands but could talk all day about steels, edge geometry, etc. Are Wusthof a good name?

Wusthof are the knives my grandparents have. I don't know much about kitchen cutlery brands but could talk all day about steels, edge geometry, etc. Are Wusthof a good name?
Smart grandparents. They are the knives that most chefs use.

40 cal ....
9mm. Smaller frame so easier to conceal, less recoil, and the new ammo has all the stopping power of the 40 cal. Most police dept's are even transition back to the 9mm after years with the 40.
new ammo linkie to read about ?

I have more knives than I want to admit, but I resisted becoming a 'collector' (a.k.a. How many guns are needed to be considered a gun enthusiast?)
Nice find on the Henckels! I have only one, a cleaver and use it often. Expensive! Why would anyone throw a set out? At least give them away, ugh.
My favorite knife is a Applegate Fairbairn Combat, great balance, though not too portable. When I carry or scuba, it is often an SOG:

Attachments

• _RAL0177.jpg
    _RAL0177.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 103
I have more knives than I want to admit, but I resisted becoming a 'collector' (a.k.a. How many guns are needed to be considered a gun enthusiast?)
Nice find on the Henckels! I have only one, a cleaver and use it often. Expensive! Why would anyone throw a set out? At least give them away, ugh.
My favorite knife is a Applegate Fairbairn Combat, great balance, though not too portable. When I carry or scuba, it is often an SOG:
That applegate is one I've always wanted but yet I never get. I also like the older Gerber mark xx knives.

That applegate is one I've always wanted but yet I never get. I also like the older Gerber mark xx knives.

but what the heck do you know? canon and suzzie versus nikon and cbr1000rr! just kidding
the applegate is an amazing knife, just the way it is weighted, a comfy handle and double sided.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back