Does anyone else here find instagram offensive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instagram is just a photo game for your phone/ipad. There is nothing wrong with it. There were several presenters at WPPI that use instagram on their business facebook page. Again, it is just a game. like words with friends or angry birds. Chill out. *goes to start an instagram on her iphone*

bhop said:
Weird that this is here today as I was having a little conversation about instagram with one of my friends just this morning. He's an iphone user, i'm an android user, so he suggested I get the app so he could follow me. I already have it, got it when it came out last week. I've only taken two photos with it. I guess it's ok, but 'retro camera' (android's version of hipstamatic) is much better for adding that 'old film' look, and actually lets you compose in a square "viewfinder".

My friend's argument was that instagram lets him look at my pics without searching through menus and stuff in facebook, etc. My reply was "Just look at my flickr". It goes on, with him complaining about flickr, but long story short, he's not a 'photographer'. He doesn't own an actual camera. He only uses his iphone for pics, so he just doesn't get it. To him, the phone pics are fine for him. To me, phone pics are not good enough. I want the control and quality of an actual camera and want the photos I upload to sharing sites to reflect that. Phone pics are pretty much modern day p&s cameras and this thread is basically like back in the film days when slr photographers would complain about p&s cameras..

But anyway.. do I find it offensive? Nah.. it's just not for everyone, that's all.

Go look up the iPhone 4 photoshoot from f-stoppers. Shooting with a phone doesn't make you any less of a photographer.

Go look up the iPhone 4 photoshoot from f-stoppers. Shooting with a phone doesn't make you any less of a photographer.

One of my favourite things ever, sometime I have to look at this and remind myself i don't need a new camera or lenses, just some more lights.

Ranting about iPhone pictures not being photography is like saying that it ain't sex unless it comes with satin sheets, red roses and Barry Manilow.

I guess.. I just meant that my friend doesn't consider himself a 'shutterbug' and doesn't own a camera other than the one on his phone.

DiskoJoe said:
They didnt pay that much because it sucks.

Wouldn't be the first time Facebook has monetized something that sucks. Ever heard of FarmVille?

I've never used instagram but I like a lot of the photos that I see from it on facebook.

What I find offensive are elitist camera snobs who think that because they own a DSLR and go on a photo forum that anybody who doesn't, and 'hasn't studied the field of photography', is a worthless hack. Kburrito, show me any photo that you've taken and I will show you you a better instagram.

Anyway, shouldn't you be busy getting offended by workmates who also take photos?
You obviously didn't read my whole post. I have no problem with people that know how to use instagram as an editing software. I have no problem with what the photo was taken with. I have a problem with people who take crappy snapshots of of themselves with duck lips, instagramming it and calling it photography. If you can take good photos with instagram and an iphone then I will call it photography and you deserve acknowledgement.
I also have no problem with people having fun with it. Like I said my problem is how people use it as a crutch to make a bad picture ok by adding a bunch of bad filters. It makes ignorant people think photography is just about fancy post processing.
Good joke about my last name by the way. Like I haven't heard that a hundred times. Simple minds make simple jokes.

Well, my point was more along the lines of why you always seem to get hung up on what other 'photographers' (and I'm using the term loosely here) are doing. You seem really insecure about your own photographic ability. Who cares if people like what you consider a bad photo? Just accept that some people haven't studied the art of photography like you so clearly have and find vintage effects and the people in the photos to be more appealing than the rule of thirds or a good tonal range.

Nice neck by the way, lol.

Well, my point was more along the lines of why you always seem to get hung up on what other 'photographers' (and I'm using the term loosely here) are doing. You seem really insecure about your own photographic ability. Who cares if people like what you consider a bad photo? Just accept that some people haven't studied the art of photography like you so clearly have and find vintage effects and the people in the photos to be more appealing than the rule of thirds or a good tonal range.

Nice neck by the way, lol.
Damn...don't get the moderators closing this thread on us. There is a valid argument to be had.
Ducky lips and snapshots are still bona fide photographs. Good photography? No. But Photography never the less.

Just like a shot of a woman on a couch using a wide angle lens distorting her head is, in the mind of some, boudoir photography.

DiskoJoe said:
They didnt pay that much because it sucks.

Wouldn't be the first time Facebook has monetized something that sucks. Ever heard of FarmVille?
Don't get me started...I used to work with people who consider Farmville a legitimate video game *LOL*
and YoVille ...and Mafia Wars...grrr

chuasam said:
Don't get me started...I used to work with people who consider Farmville a legitimate video game *LOL*
and YoVille ...and Mafia Wars...grrr

It's as depressing as it is comical.

I'd be less concerned with the person using the program than the friends who paid them all the great comments :p

If not for drama and amusement, what exactly are you using facebook for? It serves no other purpose.

Just sit back and laugh at these people; there is no sense being frustrated!

I'd be less concerned with the person using the program than the friends who paid them all the great comments :p

If not for drama and amusement, what exactly are you using facebook for? It serves no other purpose.

Just sit back and laugh at these people; there is no sense being frustrated!

Good common sense! I think that instagram is the average MWAC Pro's wet dream... let 'em have it! lol!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back