Does anyone have any pictures taken with the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens?

Mitch2742

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm thinking of buying this lens to replace the kit lens my Rebel XT came with for standard photography. I pretty much already have my mind set on it as I have heard great things and it is affordable, but I was just wondering if any of you have it. Thanks.

Take a look at the 17-85IS. Basically the same lens, except a few dollars more, and a much more usable range. 17 is quite a bit wider than 28.

Anyway, I have the 17-85IS and it's great.

It is a good lens with high bang for the buck factor. Its been around for almost 10 years now and has a good reputation. My cousin shoots with that lens and is totally happy (although it recently burnt its USM motor).

For Samples... pbase is your friend:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/canon/ef_28135_35

Hm, now I'm confused as to whether I should get the 28-135 or the 17-85. Amazon reviews are better for the 28-135, but you can't really go by that. I'm not sure if I'd rather have a wider angle or a more longer zoom. Hmm..

Is the lack of wide angle of the 28-135 really bothersome do you think? The kit lens is 18, and so I can't imagine 28 being too much less of a wide angle.

Oh, and will either lens be noticeably better than the kit lens?

Oh, and will either lens be noticeably better than the kit lens?
Yes, either one will most likely be noticeably better.

Is the lack of wide angle of the 28-135 really bothersome do you think? The kit lens is 18, and so I can't imagine 28 being too much less of a wide angle.
As a test, set your kit lens to 28mm (or there abouts) and keep it there. Walk around and see if you could live with that as your widest focal length. I couldn't....not wide enough for me.

As a test, set your kit lens to 28mm (or there abouts) and keep it there. Walk around and see if you could live with that as your widest focal length. I couldn't....not wide enough for me.

Oh wow, I don't know why I didn't think of that, haha. Thanks.

I just tested it. I think 28 mm will be fine for the pictures I tend to take, although I could imagine it sometimes being bothersome. I am thinking that I'd prefer a better zoom than a wider angle, though--because for the wide angle, I can always just use the kit lens which has 18mm.

(17-85) x 1.6 = 28-135

The original lens predates digital, and was created for 35mm film... for which it is (indeed) a highly useful range. On a cropped sensor it starts becoming a little long.

Add Image Stabilization, and suddenly you have really a killer lens.

Listen to Keith, he's onto something there...

I have the 28-135 IS and am really happy with it. But, as mentioned above, it could be wider.

For me, when I need wider I slap on the kit lense and go from there.

Here is a sample pic shot from the hip indoors with the 28-135.

LLBWcloseup.jpg

Thanks for posting the picture.

I actually went ahead and bought the lens earlier this evening but have yet to use it (I promised myself that I was going to finish my homework before taking any photos). Like I said earlier in this thread, I can imagine the lack of wide angle in this lens irritating me, but it doesn't take much effort to just swap it with the kit lens when necessary.

Too slow and not wide enough.

The 17-85 is also too slow although does produce nice images.

Look at something like the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. Fast and sharp.

Most reactions

Back