Does anyone here have an a7s?

Damn. I remember when "HD" came out and was the "ultimate" viewing experience

Just wait until 8k!

Problem I am running into is the for the a7s to output to 4k I need a $2k external recorder. So with all the extra bits and bobs I am close to $5k. Which puts me squarely in the blackmagic URSA territory.
Why wouldnt you consider the Panasonic GH4 ?

It does 4K internally, true low light isnt as impressive as the a7s but from what I heard its a great video camera.

Just out of curiosity, isnt science bringing out better and better TV's and video cameras and we are very close to the point where our eye cant really appreciate it anymore ?
It feels to me like these TV/Camera makers fool us into buying more and more equipment which we really cant appreciate anymore.

If 8K is the next big thing I am sure 16K is already being researched.

Just out of curiosity, isnt science bringing out better and better TV's and video cameras and we are very close to the point where our eye cant really appreciate it anymore ?
It feels to me like these TV/Camera makers fool us into buying more and more equipment which we really cant appreciate anymore.

If 8K is the next big thing I am sure 16K is already being researched.

8K RAW Video with the Nikon D800 Made Possible with Quicklapse Technique and a Custom Intervalometer Fstoppers

Damn. I remember when "HD" came out and was the "ultimate" viewing experience

Just wait until 8k!

Problem I am running into is the for the a7s to output to 4k I need a $2k external recorder. So with all the extra bits and bobs I am close to $5k. Which puts me squarely in the blackmagic URSA territory.
Why wouldnt you consider the Panasonic GH4 ?

It does 4K internally, true low light isnt as impressive as the a7s but from what I heard its a great video camera.

Internally? You need a whopping great batter grip type adapter.

I am reserving a rental A7 S for shooting publicity stills for a theater and hope to be so bowled over that I buy one.

Just got it by FEDEX.
Small.
Not super fast auto focus acquisition in single shot.

Quite good image and manageable noise in dim light

100% crop iso 12,000

upload_2015-6-5_14-54-33.png

Just got it by FEDEX.
Small.
Not super fast auto focus acquisition in single shot.

Quite good image and manageable noise in dim light

100% crop iso 12,000

View attachment 102737

Looks great. Doesn't seem as monumentally spectacular as some people were claiming, but still, it's very usable.

Last edited:
Uh, the Sony A7s isnt said to be "spectacular" ? Its said to hold up very well until about ISO 50k and when it finally breaks down above that depends upon the person you ask.

At 12k, there shouldnt yet be too many differences to, say, a D810.

Also one guy who testet it compared it to medium format:
There is something to the look of A7s files that reminds me of medium format, and the only thing that I can think of that could be at work here are the large individual sensels.
This very likely refers to low ISO images from the A7s, though.

The a7s surely seems to have 2 opinions. Some claim its very good for low light while some say it's just okay...
I see people saying how great nikon d3s or d4s Is for low light and the a7s is actually same if not better but when we talk about a7s solely, I have seen many review say that it is not that great for low light... so not sure whom to believe.
I had the sony a7 with 24-70f4. Then I trade it for a nikon d600 cause 35 and 50 primes were too expensive for sony. Now I realise the weight and size just doesn't make me want to travel with it anymore...
ThereforE I am thinking to go back to the sony setup but only this time, I wanted to choose between the a7r or a7s... resolution is not alot of problem for me cause I usually don't crop.. but low light performance is no.1 on my list... I have also heard from people that if you resize a7r pics to 12mp. You get somewhat same if not better results than a7s...

Just got my rental unit it.

Pros:
So light and small! I could see loving to carry this thing around instead of a DSLR.
Video is amazing the XVAC S format is seriously good for video users
I like the quasi-retro build/style

Cons:
Even with the $400 adapter using the AF with canon glass is not an option. The focus time is measured in seconds, even on a sunny day the AF hunts and hunts. Strangely each of my lenses worked differently.
The XVAC S format requires you to use a minimum ISO of 3200, which unless you have a 10 stop ND filter, is useless outside.
Button layout reminds my why the retro-look is more about looks than function.

I'll be shooting it all weekend (mostly video) but will have some samples to share.

image.jpg

So far my 50 1.4 is the slowest and my 35 2.0 is is fastest. But that's not saying much! Waiting until dusk to get some high ISO action.

I have seen many review say that it is not that great for low light... so not sure whom to believe.
Um, I thought I've checked the net pretty throughoutly for reviews of the A7s, and I am not aware anyone claims that the A7s wouldnt be great for lowlight ?

Oh, except that constantly grinning YouTube-poster that keeps cranking out really stupid clips, cant remember his name right now.

But that was really the only person. And he came to his conclusing by only comparing ISO 6400 files. But the Glory of the A7s is that ISO 12k, 25k and 50k are still quite useable, when even the D4s starts having real problems with some banding.

The A7s has been optimized by the best sensor producer out there for optimal high ISO performance - and that camera is really good at it.

Most reactions

Back