Does Gear Really Matter? 30 Mind-Blowing Images Taken With Entry-Level Gear

............. Do I really need another credit card transaction or two I have to pay off? hmmmmmmm.......I am not Snerd........

By golly, the assumptions are strong here. Who said I bought on credit, other than the initial transaction?! 32 days on someone else's money ain't a bad deal!

.......... Snerd has a sense of humor? Huh. Are you sure about that? He just always seems so darn.. stoic really.......

Hey! All I got for you is............. virtue is sufficient for happiness. So there!

And for runnah.......... I liked the linked article. Thanks for posting.
See what I mean? downright vulcan. spooky really.

lol

Sent from my LG-LG730 using Tapatalk

They are all wonderful pictures. But the equipment used although called entry level are all better that most pro film cameras ever used. The point is today, most people have superior cameras that can shoot wonderful pictures if they learn to shoot wonderfully. No one can complain that their equipment is holding them back. That's just a canard in the industry to get you to buy more stuff.

They are all wonderful pictures. But the equipment used although called entry level are all better that most pro film cameras ever used. The point is today, most people have superior cameras that can shoot wonderful pictures if they learn to shoot wonderfully. No one can complain that their equipment is holding them back. That's just a canard in the industry to get you to buy more stuff.

Could not agree more. I will not be surprised if in 10 years time someone will say: look one can take wonderful pictures with an old, outdated, obsolete camera like Canon 5D Mk III , which is even worse than today's beginners kit.

Thanks for the million laughs this yawning, Snerd, Danny and Todd. It's going to be my lucky day just laughing at how you turn this post into something else than serious...LOL

for all these people saying gear doesn't matter I would wonder why they aren't all shooting with fifty dollar point and shoots.

How many straight out of camera shots do you see from any level camera?

The majority of my photos are straight out of camera. I have cs6, LR5 and develop my images from a RAW state and that is it. Lens correction, noise reduction and maybe a slight adjustment in exposure is about all I ever do. I have often wondered if my inability to use photoshop has hampered the quality of my photos. For quite some time now I have thought about asking someone on TPF to take one of my RAW images and edit it as though it was theirs just to see if it is a matter of my editing or I just suck at photography.

The takeaway from this thread is that: if you don't know how to photoshop, then though luck. And i happen to be a master at the vibrance slider. :mrgreen:

How many straight out of camera shots do you see from any level camera?

The majority of my photos are straight out of camera. I have cs6, LR5 and develop my images from a RAW state and that is it. Lens correction, noise reduction and maybe a slight adjustment in exposure is about all I ever do. I have often wondered if my inability to use photoshop has hampered the quality of my photos. For quite some time now I have thought about asking someone on TPF to take one of my RAW images and edit it as though it was theirs just to see if it is a matter of my editing or I just suck at photography.

Before I actually learned a few things about Lightroom I was using JPEG on my camera and trying to get everything right from the camera.
Thus I was taking alot of photos of just one scene, reviewing it in the LCD, and then making adjustments.
Since I've learned lightroom better I have also settled knowing that I can fix it in post, and then tweak it even more.

The one thing that I'm trying to learn "at the camera" is whitebalance, Slight cloud cover, in and out sun ... all affects the whitebalance. But I'm not sure how to really correct that other than becoming familiar with the settings in certain scenarios. I don't think I want to carry a gray card around and spot check just before I take a shot ... it just sounds too painfully slow.

But then ... is there a WB feature on some light/flash meters ?
but in the end ... LR/PS lets one "just settle" on the photo as they know they can fix it in post. That's what I've learned though. BUt each time I go out I try to get as best a shot as I can .. but even then, most of the time AUTO WB isn't my friend for the correct colors.

Gear or not, photoshop or not, I just kinda thought it was cool to see the images.

They were pretty cool.

The whole "whether or not you need top gear" conversation is just so tired.

OP, sure it matters. If your AF wont set focus you miss the shot. If you can't adjust the focus because of no distance scale you will be messed up if you need to zone focus. Many of the cams mentioned in the article will sub for each other. But if a cam can't do something easily then it is hard to bring home the pix.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back