Does it make sense?

CrazyCanuck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So a friend of mine who switched over to canon a while back was cleaning out his closet, and he found a Nikkor 300mm F2.8 AIS. Since I shoot Nikon(D300) he asked if I wanted it.
So now...I have to figure out if it makes sense to spend $400 Cdn on a manual focus 300 2.8 thats in excellent optical condition, with a bit of wear on body of the lens...or, do I put that money into a savings pot and wait years for something like an AF 300 2.8

Manual focus doesn't bother me at all since I've still got a few lenses I use regularly that are mf.

Oh, I should mention that I shoot sports and landscape. I am practiced at shooting sports in mf. predict and prefocus. Landscape would be fine for this lens since its time consuming and patient work.

What would you do?

Absolutely go over to his house right now with $400 cash and a case a beer. And don't leave till you have that lens in hand.!!! If he has second thoughts, start using the case of beer or his favorite adult beverage to loosen the grip on that lens! :lol:

That lens is absolutely worth at least 2x that ammount!!

I had a Nikon 300 f/2.8AF stolen and have been using a Tokina 300 f/2.8 MF that I bought used for the last 4 years. Since I now have the D300's using a MF lens is no biggie at all. Works great, and no issues.

If you don't go get that lens, I am going to start calling you names until you do!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

After a bit more talking, I got the lens about a week ago.

After an entire tournament of shooting soccer, I can truthfully say, I absolutely love this lens. It is a breeze to MF and is sharp as a tack. Only one minor downside...the camera lens combo is pretty darned heavy. Oh well, its worth it.

After an entire tournament of shooting soccer, I can truthfully say, I absolutely love this lens. It is a breeze to MF and is sharp as a tack. Only one minor downside...the camera lens combo is pretty darned heavy. Oh well, its worth it.
1 word. .........Monopod.

You waited that long to buy it :cokespit:

Well at least you got it. :thumbup:

Told you it was more than worth it! Congrats. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

Back