does make english?

MOREGONE

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

Just wanted someone to proof read this line before I posted it online. Ineffable is a new word to me but I felt a connection to it and relation to photography but don't want to misuse it. Any feedback would be welcomed

Ineffable /inˈefəbəl/- too great or extreme to be expressed or described in words.

For me, photography is about turning life's ineffable moments into visual memories

Doesn't seem like it flows real well even if the usage is correct.

I'd be careful with that word, for me it has a negative connotation, in the sense that when it's used you're describing things that are bad, rather than good. Check the second definition of the word (unspeakable, not to be uttered, taboo) to see where I'm coming from.

It looks fine to me. It does have both positive and negative connotations, but they are made clear by context in most cases.

You might find this link useful to see how a word is commonly used:
Words and phrases: frequency, genres, collocates, concordances, synonyms, and WordNet It's a link to a corpus of written English.

Enter the word or phrase in the text box on the top left, search, and you will get real life examples of that word used in various kinds of writing. You'll get probably 5-6 words of context on either side of the word. Essentially, you get hundreds of examples of the usage of the word or phrase.

Women have always told me I am uneffable. That's a good thing right?

To give it more of a positive connotation you could list it with one or two other very positive words like glorious astounding or awe-inspiring.

ex1. Photography is about turning life's awe-inspiring and ineffable moments into visual memories.
ex2. Photography is about turning life's glorious ineffable moments into visual memories.

I agree that ineffable has a negative connotation when left in a neutral statement but when paired with positively charged words it takes on a different role as a description of the moments.

The line is fine as you wrote it

Thanks, I was not aware of the negative connotation that it could carry. And since it was going to go on my portfolio, I think I would rather reconsider. I like how @W.Y.Photo gave it forced perspective that is something I could consider but not how I would speak.

It is an interesting word and rare. I thought it might stand out in some people's minds and nag them to look it up which may make me stand out. Oh well. I will keep working on it.

Thanks!

A rather notable quote containing your 'Word of the Day',

“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.” - Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

A rather notable quote containing your 'Word of the Day',

“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.” - Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

^Best writer ever

I couldn't tell you why, but one of my favorite words is "garbanzo."

Most reactions

Back