Does My 85mm f1.8 Need Service?

Discussion in 'Canon Lenses' started by photoflyer, Nov 15, 2017.

1. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have an 85mm F1.8 that is still under warranty. I use it on a brand new 6D Mark II. I find that in live view the autofocus is perfect at F 1.8. However in normal mode it seems to focus just a bit short. This also happens on my T5. Have others had the same experience? Should I send the lens in for warranty service?

The autofocus on the camera is fine. It is fast and sharp on my 70-200 F2.8 USM II zoom.

2. bratkinson

bratkinson No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds like you need to perform micro focus adjustment (MFA) on the lens and that camera combination. I did MFA on all my lenses and the difference was clearly noticeable!

Do a search on this website for: 'micro focus adjustment' (no quotes). There's a number of threads on the subject.

3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Focus Micro-adjust, yes do that. It's NOT uncommon for a lens to focus improperly on a specific camera. Micro-adjusting the focus can improve things tremendously, many times. Look for on-line video tutorials on how to do this operation. The lens would need to be sent in along with the camera body you want it perfectly tuned to; it's not "just the lens" in most cases, but the lens + body pair that is at issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks You. I downloaded Canon's manual on the subject and reviewed how it is done on the 6D mii and will certainly do this.

• Like Like x 1