Does my new light box do a good job?

Bryce

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I made a light box out of a card board boot box, foil on the sides, poster board on the back, and 2 chicken lamps with spotlights in them. Is it up to par?

DSC_0334.jpg

Looks pretty good, nice soft shadows. Appears to be slightly underexposed though. Also, when taking these kinds of photos, any dust shows up really well so be sure to clean well (I know this is probably just a test shot but just sayin)

Are you doing any white balance? Take to photoshop and adjust exposure to .40 and brush the right top corner and the left shadow on the edge. You'll see it when you raise it .40
I don't want to edit your photo as you asked but that's what worked for me. Gave the real white background. Which is helpful if you're putting it online so you don't see gray background compared to a white background on a website.

Last edited:
Are you doing any white balance? Take to photoshop and adjust exposure to .40 and brush the right top corner and the left shadow on the edge. You'll see it when you raise it .40
I don't want to edit your photo as you asked but that's what worked for me. Gave the real white background. Which is helpful if you're putting it online so you don't see gray background compared to a white background on a website.
I will try that. I did the white balance but I don't see what you are talking about i will look closer

I will try that. I did the white balance but I don't see what you are talking about i will look closer

Go to "Exposure" and raise it to .40

Edit ---> Adjustments ---> Exposure

Looks pretty good, nice soft shadows. Appears to be slightly underexposed though. Also, when taking these kinds of photos, any dust shows up really well so be sure to clean well (I know this is probably just a test shot but just sayin)

I suck so bad at lighting lol. :lol:

Its just rescently that I realized that a diffuser for my speedlight would be a good idea....

Its that bad!

Well I am in the right place to learn. :thumbup:

I suck so bad at lighting lol. :lol:

Its just rescently that I realized that a diffuser for my speedlight would be a good idea....

Its that bad!

Well I am in the right place to learn. :thumbup:

Oh believe me there's so much to lighting. Play with it as much as possible. Download turorials online, lots of them available. There's tons of how to on youtube. That's what I do. What speedlight do you have?

The 580 EX version I

It is late and my computer is crapping out on me. I started to edit it not the way you said because elements is a bit different than what you wanted me to do. I isolated the background and made it brighter taking out the shadow and leaving shadow under the camera. I then began isolating the camera to work with it and it froze. I will bring this back up tomorrow night so we can see my changes. I will say this. For some reason they turn a bit darker once uploaded to photobucket.

Neil: That's what I got! I'll PM you about the videos!

Bryce: Just take another shot and raise the exposure and you won't have to mess w/ all that. At this point it would have been a lot easier to go that route

What about the second picture? Is that one better?

Yeah, that's better. But again, not true white you know?
But raising the exposure should take care both
Also shoot them in RAW so it'll be easier to work with

I like the second one. Just need to adjust that WB.

But given this is a homemade box, I'm def interested in putting one together also - thanks for the motivation!

last one before bed I will bring this back up tomorrow.
Also it may be my computer or my eyes but what is off with the white balance?
DSC_0340-1.jpg

Most reactions

Back