Does Pentax have future in DSLR?

Sash[DSL]

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I got a pentax Mz10 SLR(I believe identical to zx10)+a kit lens(SMC Pentax 35-80mm 1:4-5.6 with some filters). It cost me quite a bit cuz I bought it used and then it broke and I had to pay pretty much the price of the camera over again for repair. Its not that Im not happy with the camera, I do like it except its missing autofocus lock apparently, but what Im thinking of right now is does Pentax have a future in digital? I mean, I dont have serious cravings for digital HOWEVER, I did some figuring that showed that every shot I take with an SLR cost me about CAD$1.38(=~USD$1). Which means that having shot about 700-800 shots I will spend the money I saved not buying a digital SLR. So, when I really get into photography big time I will definitely switch over to DSLR. It would be a good idea to start collecting good lenses before that so I have to decide whether I am going to
a) Keep the camera, collect good lenses(starting with a good 50mm prime). Maybe switch the body to something a little better like MZ-M. This way I can start moving up to a higher technological level of photography earlier, and then get a DSLR when I can afford it. I heard that pentax lenses are cheap compared to others is that true?
b) Try to sell the camera and get a Nikon/Canon/maybe Minolta AF autoexp. body and then start collecting lenses.
c) Keep the camera, not go crazy buying additional accessories/lenses, slowly budget for a DSLR+A 50mm prime+A good 28-80mm f3 zoom lens. This is the most versatile way, but it kinda sux a little BECAUSE I WANT GOOD LENSES NOW!! :p

Opinions? The only Pentax DSLR Ive heard of is Pentax *ist or something, how is it featurewise compared to nikons and Canons?

I own a Pentax *istD, and as far as I'm concerned I think ti has about the same important features as the Nikon and Cannons. This is without me looking at specific specs or anything. It takes wonderufl photos (I just printed up a 20x30 and it looked great. ) The main complaints I've read are about the ergonomics, which i think are wonderful. My built-in flash went out about a month after purchase. They sent me another one, no questions asked. Also, I've heard that Pentax is working on a consumer level DSLR for <$1k, which is rumored to be named the k-1000 digital, but i hope its not. So I'd say they definitly have a future in the market, and it would be worth it to keep the camera and build up a set of lenses.

Also, the istD can use lenses that don't seen aperture information through the DOF preview. So older, cheaper lenses are easily used

What about the value? Is the istD a good value for the money? I mean it cost more than a quarter more than digital rebel and exactly as much as a nikon d70, how is it compared to them feature-wise? The only advantage I managed to find is the weight - its 550g without the battery, a digital rebel weights 560, Nikon D70 is 595 grams, Nikon d100 is 700 grams. The digital rebel is just a notch heavier, d100 is 1.5 times heavier, however all the lenses Ill carry around will make it seem as all the same thing really, am I right?
Oh and do u think you could host a zip-compressed tiff image taken with this camera? Doesnt have to be full 6mpixel, crop it if space is a problem.

that don't seen aperture information
What does that mean? :|

It looks like the istd and d70 are similar in features. I just quickly browsed over the features on b&h for the pentax. I have seen some images taken with the cam and they seem a bit soft for my liking. There is a stronger anti-alias filter which results in slightly less detail rendered. It's not much but... I don't know if the Pentax has the ability to load custom curves, but it's a feature I wouldn't want to live without.

The istD does seem a little soft, but it doesn't have a whole lot of effect if you're not trying to print, or view large images. I'm not sure about the custom curves, i don't think it can do that, but i may just not know how to do it.

Another drawback is it will only shoot like 4 or 5 conscutive frames in raw mode before locking up.

http://66.157.188.155/imgp1608.tif ...m a raw shot. I'm pretty sure its full size.

voodoocat
Why would you need to load custom curves?
tr0gd0o0r
What do u mean by locking up? You mean you have to reset the camera?

oh and what are the advantages of istD over canon digital rebels?

Custom curves are utilized to change the contrast of an image. You can create (or use one that someone else did) a curve and upload it to the camera. All of the shots will apply that curve to the image. It's a great way to bring out the midtones of an image. I almost look at it as using different types of film.

Why would you need this applied within the camera when you can apply it to all images using image array editing capabilites?

by locking up i meant that it stops taking photos. I guess it doesn't have enough ram or something to process more images than that. The write time can be pretty long to (several seconds)

The D70 has the largest buffer. You can shoot continuous RAW 3FPS for 14 frames. I don't shoot 3FPS and have never had shot fast enough to have it lock up.

I mean this:
Why would you need this applied within the camera when you can apply it to all images using image array editing capabilites?

Most reactions

Back