Does photography class worth the time and money?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by atseeyob, Aug 27, 2007.

1. atseeyob

atseeyob TPF Noob!

Well, I should post this question before I registered for the class. I am going to start on September 12th and my first class will be Digital Photography Basic. Let me just hear from you if you think this is a good start.

2. drflet

drflet TPF Noob!

I would say that you won't learn anything that you couldn't from checking out some of the better websites online or looking at threads in this forum.

That said, it depends on your learning style. I learn well through reading and hate lectures, so I've never thought seriously about photography class. If you're the other way around, it could be great.

3. sothoth

sothoth TPF Noob!

It also depends on how much you already know. If you've shot with an SLR before and done developing/printing, I'd say don't waste your time unless you enjoy classroom learning. But if you're new to the art, it may be an invaluable way to get to know your camera, the basics of good shooting technique, and hopefully the elements of good composition.

Once you learn all of that, try to forget it all and discover what you like to shoot and explore that without feeling like there is a right or wrong way to photograph... your camera is little more than a very expensive toy, so have fun with it.

4. itoncool

itoncool TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's great to increase your skill faster, but could be worth less if you just attend in the class then do nothing after the class over.
    Learn in class and explore more by yourself outside. Remember, practice make perfect! and always have fun with your tools... ;)

5. Dubie

Dubie TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I hope so. I start my first photography class ever tomorrow. I am new to digital and excited. I think it's a good stepping stone if you know absolutely nothing, like me.

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You should most definitely take a photography class. Yes you can learn it online, but you won't benefit from learning from others first hand, and you'll never participate in a real in person critique while sitting in front of your computer.

7. WDodd

WDodd TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think it would be a great thing if you don't know much or know very little. I started my photography class and have had 4 classes and all we are covering is the basic operation of the camera which I already know pretty well.

However, it is a film class so I'm looking forward to working with that as well as the in class critique as Matt said.

8. JenR

JenR TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't think any of us can really tell you if your particular class is worthwhile or a waste. It really depends on many things: your background, the course content, the instructor, how much effort you put in, etc. etc. etc.

Hope your enjoy your class!!

9. Patrice1138

Patrice1138 TPF Noob!

I'm glad to see this question -- I'm in a similar situation. I'm terrified of spending money, but i hear good things about NYIP -- can anyone give me some feedback or suggestions?

Here's their URL:

http://www.nyip.com/

Thanks for any and all help!

10. six-five-two

six-five-two TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To learn photography, I just read books and if I had any questions... I asked my parents (because my mom used to be into photography) or I find out by asking here or somewhere on the internets.

If you want a book I recommend Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.

11. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty much. I'm getting a degree in photography, and I've only been in school for a year. I can already shoot near the professional level.

12. Kaye68

Kaye68 TPF Noob!

I would say go for it. I would love to take a photography class. I did the online thing and even though I learned from it I do perfer the class setting. I also have the book Understand Exposure and it is a great book.