Does the star move?

how do you do more than 30 second exposures? is that a camera option or something else? do you have to put your camera on bulb and set a chair on the shutter button?

so do you push the shutter to open and then push it again to close? or do you have to hold it down the whole time?

edit: oh the remote has a locking tab... that makes sense.

so do you push the shutter to open and then push it again to close? or do you have to hold it down the whole time?

edit: oh the remote has a locking tab... that makes sense.

if using the shutter on the camera, you have to hold it down (in bulb mode) but with a remote, 1 put opens it, then the next push shuts it..

OP: Try this some really clear night. (And I mean really clear, if you're in a city you'll never be able to do it.)

Get a blanket, lay down on the ground. Find a nice dark spot in the sky and let your eyes relax on it. If it's clear enough, you can see the earth rotate against the sky. It's a really cool feeling.

On a related note, I was showing a friend of mine the Ultra Deep Field Hubble image (WARNING! Massive file, 65+ MB). Each dot is a galaxy with billions of stars. Kinda makes you feel small.

More than 1/2 of the people in a recent survey did not know that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

Nor could they explain exactly what a year is.

The fact of the matter is, most people rarely look up, think about why the Sun rises and sets daily, or wonder why the Earth has seasons.

How many people truely realise the Earth rotates from West to East, let alone that galaxies like Andromeda have their light shifted to the blue end of the spectrum?

The VAST MAJORITY of persons do not know how many leap years occur in a 400 year period. By the way, it's not 100!

Actually, you did say something like this when you posted about polarizer filters.

oh, so its common knowledge that a polarizing filter rotates so you can adjust the glare.. hmm.. just asked my wife, nope, she didn't know.. asked my son.. nope, he didn't know either.. my buddy down the street who is getting into photography just now, nope.. he didn't know either.. well there's 4 out of 4 that didn't know.. so clearly it's not common knowledge... now lets try this.. lets see if they know the earth rotates... wife: yup.. son: yup, buddy: yup..

my question about the filter may have been common knowledge to someone who OWNS a polarizing filter.. but, to someone who found one in a bag, and has never used one before, nope.. its not..

don't try to be a smart ass unless you have a leg to stand on..

Actually, you did say something like this when you posted about polarizer filters.

oh, so its common knowledge that a polarizing filter rotates so you can adjust the glare.. hmm.. just asked my wife, nope, she didn't know.. asked my son.. nope, he didn't know either.. my buddy down the street who is getting into photography just now, nope.. he didn't know either.. well there's 4 out of 4 that didn't know.. so clearly it's not common knowledge... now lets try this.. lets see if they know the earth rotates... wife: yup.. son: yup, buddy: yup..

my question about the filter may have been common knowledge to someone who OWNS a polarizing filter.. but, to someone who found one in a bag, and has never used one before, nope.. its not..

Actually, circular polarizers, yes. Just polarizing? Don't believe so.

Actually, circular polarizers, yes. Just polarizing? Don't believe so.

Yes, linear polarizers. Every polarizer must be rotated in order to perform its function.

Actually, it's common knowledge among experienced photographers. Alternately, you can keep the polarizer stationary and rotate the camera. (That was a poor joke but the truth is that rotating the camera won't accomplish the goal! You MUST rotate the filter.)

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back