Does this exist for Canon? - Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Macro ?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by wh1ppet, May 23, 2009.

1. wh1ppet

wh1ppet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think that's the lens I'm going to get for my recently ordered Canon 50D, but have read several reviews that recommend this:

"The one that you want is the Sigma 18-50 F/2.8 DC EX HSM MACRO. Don't waste money on the other ones. They've been discontinued now for a touch over 2 years."

Seems like HSM exists for Nikon, but not for Canon. Does this mean that the Canon's line is older and may have the QC issues with front/back focusing?

Thanks!

2. Montana

Montana TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I just looked at Sigmas website, and it does appear that the HSM version is only available in Nikon mounts so that all Nikon cameras can use this lens. I wonder why they wouldn't make it available in all mounts? Makes no sense to me.

For what it is worth, I have bought 2 Sigma lenses brand new in the past. Both performed very well for what they were. So well in fact that I never had a problem recommending Sigma glass to those on a budget. However, after owning a couple of Canon's "L" glass offerrings, I see why they are so highly touted. The color reproduction, contrast, and sharpness are superior. But, more often than not, budgets are not always flexible.

Derrick

Last edited: May 23, 2009