Does this look edited?

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by julius, May 19, 2007.

1. julius

julius TPF Noob!

Hey.

I found this tree I really liked when I was going for a wander and took a couple of snaps of it. I was trying out some new things and none of the shots came out the way I liked, so I was stuck with a couple of poorly composed snap shots of it. Usually I would have just chucked them out, but this particular time I had a bit of time and started messing around in photoshop and ended up trying to salvage the whole thing.

So I'm just interested as to whether or not this image passes as real? Usually I don't like manipulating my photos so much, but seeing as none of my other shots came out I thought I'd give it a go.

Cheers

unedited:

[​IMG]

edit:
    [​IMG]

2. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    the neon colours in the first one certainly do disqualify it for looking "real" ;) If that hypersaturation with non-natural colours is the desired effect though, then that has been achieved.

The b&w version looks way way better IMHO ... also because of the crop.

3. julius

julius TPF Noob!

Cheers for the comment.

The first is actually the unedited shot straight from the camera (edit: actually it was a two shot HDR). The BW shot is an edit of the first one

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    lol, got that all wrong then :p so the first is an unnatural looking HDR. And the second is a pleasing edit :)

I think your edit improved the original tremendously. the perspective and contrasts work well in B&W and give it a dramatic expression.

5. New England Moments

New England Moments TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi Julious!!

Well I just all out prefer the B+W shot here... it just has that B+W mood going for it.. Its also a nice frame/ and great contrast.. Not a fan of the dark left corner however.... but think you got a nice B+W going for ya here...
    nice Job!!

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just want you to know I said the exact same things only better, but my post got lost... To early here to push all the buttons in order I guess. Kidding about the better, but it's 100% the stark black and white.

Everyone should be forced to desaturate there colors by 20% for a week just to change their perspective of how color looks.

7. imabigboy

imabigboy TPF Noob!

The B&W one looks great! I love that tree!

8. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you can adjust saturation, sharpness, etc in the camera... is there really such a thing as an unedited picture? Some are just edited to look the same as our eyes see them. ;) Marinate in that for a bit.

The black and white shot it awesome... regardless of how you got there.

9. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The first one is unedited? Hard ot believe. the 2nd one reminds me of Ansel adams like stuff.

10. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, I can see that your major editing steps from Original to Edition wasn't necessarily the conversion into a (well made!) b&w version, but that you took your time to clone out all the background trees and to isolate this gnarled tree on the hill, and yes, yes, yes, all that work on the background helps the edition tremendously, too. Along with the fact that a scene of this kind renders itself to being converted into the more abstract b&w all by itself, too. Well done. All the work was worth it.

11. Hair Bear

Hair Bear TPF Noob!

I like the b/w version too but the bottom left corner gives something away

You can see a very bad duplication with three points all the same, and slight fade there. Fix that and I think it would be a cracking shot all round

Agree the top left is a little over dark, but nice job